Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Blue Fawn is what they call it.In the Amstaff breed there is blue and blue fawn and reverse blue brindles.
And if you are getting a Cane I will be jealous,they are such awesome dogs!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
It's what is considered blue fawn, it's only used in Cane corsos.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
And blue fawn is just a red with blue pigment instead of black :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all :). No cane corsos here, I have plenty to do with all my mals!! Lol. Just saw it mentioned on another thread, and it looked the same as a blue mal or gsd, just didn't describe it well.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah, your mals would be masked black based reds genetically speaking. I love colors!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think there may be something different about the mask... like as puppies it is lighter than a true fawn but it darkens so as adults they aren't as distinguishable from a blue fawn, or vice versa? I'm having a really vague memory of a Cane Corso breeder or aficionado explaining it once, and I think it was something more than just a different word than "fawn". I'm pretty sure the discussion was here so you could probably find it on a search.

·
Registered
232 Posts
they are blue-masked fawns... if you google blue fawn, you get a ton of pics of greyish red pitbulls :) The colour happens in alot of breeds, but the term formentino is only used in Cane Corsos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are blue-masked fawns... if you google blue fawn, you get a ton of pics of greyish red pitbulls :) The colour happens in alot of breeds, but the term formentino is only used in Cane Corsos
So its the same, just called different in different breeds?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
There are blue mals, fawn with the gray/dusty looking masks. None of mine are blues.
Wow that sounds gorgeous! Do you have any pics? I love blue and chocolate GSDs so much :) I'd love to see a mal.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Blue masked fawn is also called cinza in the fila brasileiro.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that sounds gorgeous! Do you have any pics? I love blue and chocolate GSDs so much :) I'd love to see a mal.
I'm not sure I could post them since they aren't my dogs. You can Google blue malinois and see lots of great pictures.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rowan 10 mths.jpg Sequoia 10 mths10.jpg
What is formentino? I tried Google, is it the same as what is considered blue is some breeds?
It is Italian for wheat in colour (loosely translated), and is used to describe the dilute blue mask that comes out on some of the fawn colour dogs. Whereas for the most part fawns with black masks are called fawns we call the ones with the blue masks formentinos. Like the black mask it is to cover the muzzle but not extend past the eyes. I know that a lot of people have trouble with a weak dilute in the blue washing out after they start to mature. We also have blue and blue brindle as a colour and techinically they are are to have a blue mask although it is much harder to tell on those dogs if there is a mask, especially a solid blue :)

Formentino tends to be on an upward trend and fawns seem to be seen less and less. We had both in our last litter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts