Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a breeder friend of mine and she said one of her females had some color dilution alopecia. I read a bit about it, but I am still curious. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any negative effects of this besides the obvious skin issues? Would an animal displaying this condition be ruled out for breeding? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've read a lot about it, but haven't dealt with it. :p

CDA can, IIRC, also indicate a generally depressed immune system, and for me, it would rule a dog out for breeding. What is interesting is that there are breeds where dilutes are common and yet CDA is rare-to-unheard of. (I've never been able to find an instance of it in Border Collies, where blue and lilac dilutes are not terribly uncommon). I had thought, from my initial reading, that it was likely linked to people doing repeated dilute to dilute breedings, but in other breeds (like Yorkies),basically every dilute dog, regardless of breeding, will be affected. I'd be interested ot hear from some of the Dobe folks on this board on the issue, as I believe the Dobes are in the 'basically everyone's effected' catagory, so the only way to get blues by breeding ethically (IMO) would be to breed carriers and hope for less and less effected puppies.

Dilution doesn't make a dog better or worse by default, but I do think breeders have a responsibility to hold dilute dogs to the same standard as fully pigmented dogs - if it's not just as healthy, just as good a worker, and just as typey, it's not worth breeding. (Conversely, if it's just as good in every other area (including coat texture and quantity and working ability) as the fully-pigmented relatives, it's not automatically a DQ on color FOR ME- which doesn't mean other people agree.) In general, dilutes in breeds where they are frequently affected with CDA or just plain not accepted well (Dobes, GSDs are the two I'm specifically thinking of here), it'd be very unlikely for a serious breeder to keep a dilute they produced, simply because that dog would have to be REALLY spectacular in other ways in order to outweigh the downside of the color. So the chances of a dilute dog who is decent-but-not-spectularly-better-than-colored-littermates being kept and WORKED are low.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The woman was a dachshund breeder. Dilutes are fairly common, but most of the successful show dogs I see are reds and black and tans. Not sure why that is actually....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts