Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've been really into this crochet and knitting thing..

the pile of scarves, hats, blankets and such is getting rather large..so large in fact that the idea of selling them is getting very appealing so I have some questions.

I want to get better at pairing the different colors I use in these items.
what color combos tend to be appealing?

like maroon with navy blue? or forest green?
orange with yellow and red? etc etc..

also...this whole "seasonal colors" concept...is the idea that certain colors look better in certain seasons? :confused:

another thing.. price.

like what would you guys pay for hand crafted versions of these items?

gloves
scarves
hats
shawls
socks
purses
sweaters

?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm not sure on price but for color combo ideas, you could look at scrapbooking websites. Look at paper lines and products. Just google scrapbooking stores and go go from there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
another thing.. price.

like what would you guys pay for hand crafted versions of these items?

gloves
scarves
hats
shawls
socks
purses
sweaters

?
I myself crochet so I don't normally buy, but I do look whenever I'm at craft sales and things like that. I've seen some nice mittens/gloves for $15-20, hats for $10-20, purses for $30-40...I would say it partially depends on the yarn you're using, too. Wool is more expensive than just basic yarn, for example. The price of the yarn you buy and the amount of time you spend on an item should definitely be a factor in price, also. I don't know if you've made any wash rags, but they're so so easy and fast to make and people seem to love them. I made a whole bunch for party favors once and they got snatched up so quickly. You could easily make $5 a piece which is awesome since they take 30 min or less and you can usually get more than one out of skein of yarn.

Good luck with selling your stuff! :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
For color, google "color theory" or "color wheel" -- there are lots of sites that explain which colors go well together (e.g. complementary, monochromatic, analagous, triad, etc.). Here are a couple of sites to try:

http://www.worqx.com/color/ -- basics
http://www.paintquality.com/color/index.html# -- I like this site because it has an interactive color wheel

RE price, a friend of mine weaves scarves and other items. He gets about $40 per scarf for a chenille yarn. Weaving is more labor intensive than knitting or crocheting, though, and fewer people do it, so his prices may be a bit high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts