Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we picked up our 4 yr old Collie from a 4 day stay at the kennel [considered top in area]. We were told to keep an eye on his stools as his most recent one was diarrhea like and some blood was evident. Later that evening we noticed blood in the stool again and at 2 in the morning took him to the emergency vet just to be safe. He was given antibiotics [several day program] and something to firm up stools. That seemed to work. Several days later I gave him about 4 tablespoons of plain yogurt in his food thinking it would be good for intestinal tract. Then his stools began to look like pudding. A couple days later they began to firm up again but now have gone back to pudding texture. The only other thing I noticed was he was licking excessively at an area on his groin. On inspection that was about 5 or 6 small red sores almost like bites. I trimmed some hair that was matted away thinking that was the problem but have since thought that the matting was caused by dog licking the area. He appears fine in other respects and I am not sure another vet trip is necessary as it may all work out but thought I would ask for an opinion.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Was he given different food than his usual at the kennel? The change in food might be part of the problem. But if it keeps up, I'd go back to the vet.

Both of my collies have sensitive stomachs. If Toby eats anything unusual he gets 3-4 days of diarrhea that almost always becomes bloody.

Slightly OT, but do you know your dog's MDR1 status? It's a genetic mutation that is very common in collies, and some of the other herding breeds, that alters their ability to deal with some medications. Here's the Washington St. Vet School website about it: http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kennel uses Verus dog food for all dogs.[his usual food is Purina One] It is included in their fee and has not caused any issues to date unless this would be the first. The vet thought it was more likely he picked up a canine flu and he did return to normal shortly thereafter with the antibiotic and stool stiffner. And yes I have had Tobi DNA tested to be sure he did not have the gene where the one heartworm medication is a problem. He was negative.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I'd guess it was a food change and a sudden one at that. When mine were at a boarding kennel, I brought the food. If mine ate a new food, I'd expect diarrhea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the thought. My only problem is that Tobi has been at this kennel several times before and there has never been an issue with the food. His stools were starting to firm up today with first half pudding and second beginning to form a soft stool. Is there anything to give him that would aid in stiffening stools?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Sounds like you need to take in a stool sample to be tested. Otherwise, I wouldn't mess around with his diet much - the diarrhea could be from the sudden change in food or stress of being kenneled. Your vet will likely give him something to firm up again if the tests come back clean. If he gets runny again when he runs out of meds then I would look into adding a tiny amount of pumpkin - like a teaspoon, to his food.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since Tobi will need to be in the kennel again in a few days due to a short vacation I decided to not risk anything and took him to the vet today. Vet was concerned that licking the sores caused an infection so we were sent home with prednisone, an ointment for the area and an antibiotic. I was concerned about the antibiotic thinking it would be a problem due to recent visit and pill regimen from the ER vet. I was told that the ER medication was for the intestines and this prescription was not. I was surprised how the prednisone mellowed him out. Hate giving dog so much medication but guess it was necessary. The vet thought the sores might have been picked up by some grasses. Tobi does like to almost sit in the bushes when he pees so who knows. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts