Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For dogs who cannot be trusted to not venture out. Should they have a collar with tags on 24/7? My dogs are in the backyard mostly, but they also come inside. The backyard is 100% secure, they cannot dig under the fences or go over. But they WILL go out the back door/garage or front door if left open. They've sometimes sneaked outside while someone was coming in or out.

The advice I've got from family/friends is to keep their collars/tags on 24/7 just-incase, because if they do go missing, it would be a million times easier to get them back if their collars & tags are on.Note: On new years day @ night, one of the dogs sneaked outside when a few of us came home at night, they're small dogs (westies) and our girl was just out the front with no collar on and ended up taking a walk down the street.I had to calm go grab her...such a scary experience...and she had no collar/tags on...this is a dog that can't be trusted off-leash on walks, (she's almost got lost on walks when i USED to left her off-leash, i gave up trying to teach her to be off-leash and listen)

The only reason I have been taking them off is because they're west highland terriers, they have wirey hair...and for some reason the fur on the necks looks wired when their collars have been on for a few days. They're leather collars, so I usually take them off when it rains...and if it's too hot I take them off aswell. Just wondering if I should just stop taking the collars off and leave em on....and just accept the fact the fur near their collar is gona go wierd.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think it's a good idea to leave ID tags on dogs at all times, yes. My dogs always wear their collars. . .I know there are risks but I think not having tags on is a bigger risk for my dogs. Are your dogs microchipped?

There are some collars available that don't mess up their fur so much. Round collars seem to be the most common.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I keep ours on for the same reason, he bolts and it could be dangerous not to. For them, you could probably find a very small break away or something just to leave your information on. I hate the mark it leaves on his fur but it's better than losing him.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would always air on the side of caution, especially if they spend a lot of time outside - and especially if one of them has escaped for a little walk before.

I don't have a secured yard for my pup, so I don't have the same experience. But when he's just hangin' around the house, I definitely take his collar off - nice to be naked sometimes ;)

In your situation, I would definitely recommend keeping them collared up. Maybe you can take them off when they are inside for the night?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you must leave the collar on 24/7 then it should be something with a safety breakaway feature in my opinion. To err on the side of caution is one thing, but to put your dog at risk of being strangled is another.

·
Registered
48 Posts
24/7. The dog would need 100% constant supervision when he is out in the yard or in the house(he could shoot out the door when somebody leaves or comes in) which just isn't possible so it's peace of mind.

·
Banned
693 Posts
If you must leave the collar on 24/7 then it should be something with a safety breakaway feature in my opinion. To err on the side of caution is one thing, but to put your dog at risk of being strangled is another.
This is also great advice. Dogs can get caught up on all sorts of things and while a break away isn't fail safe, it may help your dog if they get their collar stuck on something.

My best advice would be to not leave your front door open and train the dogs to not sneak out when someone's coming inside. A collar with ID tags won't stop them from getting hit by a car if they're running loose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A collar with ID tags won't stop them from getting hit by a car if they're running loose.
No, but a good samaritan would be quicker to pick up a dog with an ID and give you a call. The reason why is it is not as much hassle involved as picking up a dog with no ID then trying to find the owners or bring it to the pound. Less time roaming, which means less opportunity to get flattened by a car. I actually had to sign a paper stating that I will have a tag on my pup at all times when I adopted him.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It depends on the dog. I dont have a collar & tags on Buster all the time. The risk of him getting the collar and/or tags caught on something is much higher than the risk of him going for a walk without supervision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It depends on the dog. I dont have a collar & tags on Buster all the time. The risk of him getting the collar and/or tags caught on something is much higher than the risk of him going for a walk without supervision.
There is no risk at all that he could get on the loose?

I have never heard of a dog in this area choking to death because of getting a collar hooked into something(that's not to say it's impossible). I have many many times heard of a dog getting hit by a car, or just simply getting on the loose never to be found again. Tags are a necessity in my mind.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I look at the reverse. The collar provides identification that he is a loved companion (not a released stray), in the one catastrophic instance when he gets away by accident. So, my dog wears his collar 24x7 ... even when he's sleeping in the house at night. He is also chipped. .... Plus everyone in the neighborhood know him.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Molly is an opportunistic runner. She is microchipped but, when she's had tags on, I've gotten phone calls from neighbors a block (or sometimes a few miles) away. By the time her chip is read, it means she's been picked up by animal control and driven over to the county shelter and it'll cost me $150 to get her back. I'm happy to say she's getting better, but she's not completely trustworthy yet.

Esther, on the other hand, no longer has any interest in leaving us - even for a brief adventure. She has reached that point in her life when she realizes things are not better, or even more interesting, out there. When she used to run with Molly, there was no chance that anyone was going to catch her to read her tags OR her microchip.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There is no risk at all that he could get on the loose?

I have never heard of a dog in this area choking to death because of getting a collar hooked into something(that's not to say it's impossible). I have many many times heard of a dog getting hit by a car, or just simply getting on the loose never to be found again. Tags are a necessity in my mind.
I'll bite this one.
My dog has been caught by his collar in the house and also by other dogs at the park.

Sure there is some risk that he could get out but for my dog the risk of him getting out and actually leaving over getting strangled is much lower.

My dog is chipped and tattooed. Not really in case he got out but in case somehow he got stolen.
People can take tags off and call him theirs. They would have a hard time removing a chip, half a leg and a part of my dogs abdomen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll bite this one.
My dog has been caught by his collar in the house and also by other dogs at the park.

Sure there is some risk that he could get out but for my dog the risk of him getting out and actually leaving over getting strangled is much lower.
I don't know why you say "i'll bite this one". I was making a legitimate statement, not trolling. People are very highly sensitive on here.
Anyway, if your dog has been getting his collar caught just get a different one. It has never happened to any of mine..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't know why you say "i'll bite this one". I was making a legitimate statement, not trolling. People are very highly sensitive on here.
Anyway, if your dog has been getting his collar caught just get a different one. It has never happened to any of mine..
Yes because i said it only happened with one collar. Not.

I wasn't referring to you being a troll at all. I was referring to biting onto a question that was aimed at someone else.

Different things work for different people. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it has to for everyone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes because i said it only happened with one collar. Not..
Well if you wanna be a smartalec, I can be one too.
You said "my dog has been caught by his collar". Not "my dog has been caught by his collars".

Hopefully I don't have to explain the difference.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well if you wanna be a smartalec, I can be one too.
You said "my dog has been caught by his collar". Not "my dog has been caught by his collars".

Hopefully I don't have to explain the difference.
And with that i am done. I LOVE having people like you on here! Makes for a wonderful place.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Always, you don't know when an an accident could happen even with the most well trained dogs.

Mine are kept with their I.D.s and rabies tag since in my state a dog can be shot on site if no rabies tag. Also, my terrier is micro-chipped and I fully intend to do the same thing with my puppy once she's older.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts