• Harness

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Both

Votes: 20 58.8%
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Don't know how they could chew on a harness......???
Dawn, my older female doberman, is only allowed to wear a harness. She had back surgery when she was a one year old. And she can chew a harness off in less than five minutes. She's perfectly behaved when I walk her. In fact she steps in to her harness. But if I forget to take it off when we get home, or I get distracted then thats another $15 down the drain.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Ioreks_mom! I don't watch the Simpsons, but it is one of my son's favorite shows lol! Yeah, if your harness works, then that is what you should use.
But, just remember these collars if you ever need one. BTW, I can't remember the name of it, but there is even one website that sells them that puts part of the profit toward a samoyed rescue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I voted collar.....I have not found a harness that has fit well yet....and I have tried them all, I think.....:D....he doesn't like them either, but then he was not raised on them, so I am sure it would be different if he was.....just my opinion.!

Good Luck!!:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was told that a harness is best for very small dogs because it protects their cute little necks...... especially when they pull so much they stand on their hind legs and think they're as big as a GS. I think it's just more comfortable and that would make for a more relaxing walk. If the gentle leader makes one small enough, I've heard great things about them.
Don't know how they could chew on a harness......???
The size doesn't matter, a big dog can damage their neck the same as a small dog. I had a Samoyed, and somehow she chew up her harness and got it off.

I'm just curious about this "little dog" argument. I don't see how a little dog would do more damage to their neck w/ a collar than a big dog would? I realize they have smaller bones and what not, but they also can't pull as hard as a big dog so to me it's all relative. What am I missing?
Your not missing anything, it's just because they are small. And they don't wanna hurt it.

we have an easy walk gentle leader harness for iorek. that is all that we have ever used. i bought a collar but never used it since he has too much fur around his neck! i can't get it to go as tight as it should because of all the fur and i am afraid it will slip off. iorek has his tags on his harness and he only wears it when we go outside. the easy walk harness is really easy to clip on, not very different than a collar.
Yeah they will slip out of them collars, when I had a samoyed. If I were to grab her collar. She will pull her head back, slip out and run. :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I only use Sasha's harness for car rides, as it is actually meant to be a doggy seat-belt.

For walks, I use a "Gentle Leader" head collar to curb her pulling. Compared to normal collars and choke chains, the head collar is a MIRACLE. Before, she was pulling and pulling, and I could literally here her wheezing and choking herself!! But as soon as we started using a head collar, she instantly started improving, and now she's almost constantly at a heel at my side while we walk! And it doesn't hurt them like a Prong Collar or Choke Chain would, it just applies a small amount of pressure in all the right places, hence the name, "Gentle Leader!" =D

The reason I don't use a harness, is because I've heard they can actually PROMOTE pulling! It allows them to pull harder, since it's attached to their chest and not their neck, and they actually use harnesses in dog weight pulling events to harness all of their potential strength! Honestly to me, that last bit is reason enough not to use a harness on a dog that pulls! XD

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I use a Harness when I am hiking, because that is his 'free' time...usually we are on trails that allow him to explore, so if the coast is clear, I let him do so on his Flexi; if someone is coming, I tap the brake, and he knows to stop, and come racing back to my side.

Otherwise, he walks with a regular collar and leash, as he will be doing rally, and agility, and possibly some obedience; harnesses, haltis, and gentle leaders are not allowed in those, unless it is a fun match at certain clubs, but that is only in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For Charlee, since she gets excited when she sees something in the bushes, I use a gentle leader halter. Makes my life so much easier.
For trout, since he's perfect on leash, I just use the regular harness (small breed dog) and keep his tags on a normal leather collar. The harness stays on during the day and comes off at night.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello has a collar and a harness. His collar fits loosely around his neck to carry his dogtags, but I use the harness because it keeps the leash out his face when he's sniffing for a spot to pee/poo. I also use the harness when we go places, like to the store or to the park. I don't need him pulling out his collar... I just think harnesses are more comfortable to wear versus something around their neck.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'm just curious about this "little dog" argument. I don't see how a little dog would do more damage to their neck w/ a collar than a big dog would? I realize they have smaller bones and what not, but they also can't pull as hard as a big dog so to me it's all relative. What am I missing?
Here is the reason that most vets recommend a harness for little dogs...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=410

That being said. I use gentle leader harness for walks , regular collar for agility for my collies and a harness for my maltese. So I voted both.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We use both, but the harness is more of a "I want to grab the dog quick off-leash" tool for us.. and for tethering in the car (and well, getting him in there.. lol) - with a leash we use a collar.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts