Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully starting in the next week or so, I'm going to start working on leash training my pups (4 month old toy poodles). Right now, none of the pups have ever had a collar or harness on, and don't even know what a leash is for, lol. One of the two adults is used to a collar and leash, but he's not leash trained in the slightest, and pulls like crazy. He's tiny, so it's not a problem for me, but I'm afraid of hurting his throat when he pulls so bad, and because of this, I'm considering getting the pups harnesses instead of collars. My mother-in-law says that they can't have harnesses because they would chew them up. i don't see how this could be an issue, but am I wrong? What would be better, a collar, or a harness?

If I had my way, each dog would get a full-time collar with their tags on it, and a harness for walking. Is that a good idea?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I had my way, each dog would get a full-time collar with their tags on it, and a harness for walking. Is that a good idea?
That's what Mabel has. She has to have a collar for her tags and such. But with her prey drive and speed she hits the end of a 6 foot leash at about 100 mph. So when we walk she's in a harness (easier on her neck/throat). It's the same harness she wears as a restraint in the car so it's pretty convenient.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I use a harness on my Pug 100% of the time. She cannot chew it - I don't know how that would even be possible! The only problem is they are a bit more time consuming getting on and off as opposed to a collar (but not a big deal).

People will tell you that harnesses encourage pulling, but puppies are going to pull no matter what. If you train them from the beginning the right way to loose leash walk, you will not have a problem. My dog does not pull, she stays by my side or a bit in front of me (I let her, I really don't have strict walking rules except no pulling). Her breed is prone to trachea issues and a collar could cause damage, plus she has no neck :D and slipped the collars I originally bought when she was a puppy. I feel much safer with her walking in a harness, and there are a ton of styles to try. I use a nylon harness from Petco for our everyday walks, and also have two Puppia soft mesh harnesses for the beach or vet visits.

Good luck with your pups!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Hawk and Kechara only wear a harness for Two activities, A walking harness for tracking and an X back harness for Pulling (skijoring, bikjoring, sledding) otherwise I use flat buckle collars on them for going for a walk. and a chain for conformation.

They never wear their collars in the house. they go naked

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use harnesses on all three of my dogs. My grandma breeds Yorkies and said that harnesses are safer for them than a collar.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I use collars, but ten again, pulling is not allowed, so they don't get a chance to damage their necks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I voted both. Max has a collar on all the time with his tags in case he gets lost and he wears a harness on his walks. I got him one of the Puppia ones because it seems more comfortable than a lot of choices out there. And my experience has been that his inclination to pull decreases with the harness on. It is more time consuming to put it on before a walk but overall I like it better than just a collar. Especially since I think it's safer in terms of chances of slipping out and easier on his throat.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We only use collars unless we have his X-back on for pulling the wagon or when we go rollerblading or biking.

With time a patience, I think a regular buckle collar is sufficient for 90%+ of dogs.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yes. :) Especially with little dogs. My dachshund has a collar with his ID tags on it, and a harness to keep any stress off his neck and to avoid injury. My mutt wears a gentle leader harness, because she pulls like a mad woman. My Elkhound HAS a harness, but he's such a gem on a leash we eventually stopped putting it on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was told that a harness is best for very small dogs because it protects their cute little necks...... especially when they pull so much they stand on their hind legs and think they're as big as a GS. I think it's just more comfortable and that would make for a more relaxing walk. If the gentle leader makes one small enough, I've heard great things about them.

Don't know how they could chew on a harness......???

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm just curious about this "little dog" argument. I don't see how a little dog would do more damage to their neck w/ a collar than a big dog would? I realize they have smaller bones and what not, but they also can't pull as hard as a big dog so to me it's all relative. What am I missing?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mojo has both. We have two harnesses for him actually, one is the Gentle Leader and the other is a traditional style harness with the rings for the leash on his back. We pretty much never use the Gentle Leader as their smallest size is a little big for Mojo imo. He also tends to get wrapped up in the leash more with the GL since it clips on his chest.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My dogs all have both. But we use mostly their collars. Stella is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and alot of Cav owners have to use harnesses. Cavs can have a neurological condition called syringomelia (spelling?) that causes air scratching and pain at the neck area. So a harness helps ease this. However, Stella actually seems to do better with her collar only. She (all 3) have quite a collar wardrobe LOL! :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
we have an easy walk gentle leader harness for iorek. that is all that we have ever used. i bought a collar but never used it since he has too much fur around his neck! i can't get it to go as tight as it should because of all the fur and i am afraid it will slip off. iorek has his tags on his harness and he only wears it when we go outside. the easy walk harness is really easy to clip on, not very different than a collar.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Hawk and Kechara only wear a harness for Two activities, A walking harness for tracking and an X back harness for Pulling (skijoring, bikjoring, sledding) otherwise I use flat buckle collars on them for going for a walk. and a chain for conformation.

They never wear their collars in the house. they go naked
Exactly! Well, almost exactly. I don't do any skijoring yet but harnesses to me are for pulling. Collars are for simple walks and training.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Iorecks_mom! Just a side note...Stella, my cav, and Lucy, one of my other dogs, have alot of hair at the neck area, too. Also, Desi, my shih-poo, has a smaller head so he slips alot of his collars lol. I found these great limited-slip collars that are made especially for long-haired breeds, like samoyeds, shelties, etc. They are from a company called whitepine outfitters. They are soft and come in lots of pretty colors (solids). Desi can't slip this collar and it doesn't matt the fur around Lucy's neck. Stella, however, doesn't wear these because she has lots of "bling" collars....you know, for royalty LOL!!! :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Hi Iorecks_mom! Just a side note...Stella, my cav, and Lucy, one of my other dogs, have alot of hair at the neck area, too. Also, Desi, my shih-poo, has a smaller head so he slips alot of his collars lol. I found these great limited-slip collars that are made especially for long-haired breeds, like samoyeds, shelties, etc. They are from a company called whitepine outfitters. They are soft and come in lots of pretty colors (solids). Desi can't slip this collar and it doesn't matt the fur around Lucy's neck. Stella, however, doesn't wear these because she has lots of "bling" collars....you know, for royalty LOL!!! :)
thanks, i will have to look into the collars. i will probably stick with the harness, though, since he is happy walking in it and we don't have any problems with it.

iorek's fur is so thick in his "mane" that i cannot see his skin. it is about 3 inches long and so thick that it doesn't lay flat. when he wears his harness you can't even tell that he is wearing anything at all. (uh-oh...simpsons quote just popped in my head..."it feels like i am wearing nothing at all...nothing at all...nothing at all"!! i love the simpsons)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts