Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog will be flying in cargo in her crate/kennel. One of the tips I read is "Fit your pet with a collar that can't get caught in carrier doors. Affix two pieces of identification on the collar—a permanent ID with your name and home address and telephone number, and a temporary travel ID with the address and telephone number where you or a contact person can be reached."

1. Where I can find a "collar that can't get caught in carrier doors"?
2. What kind of collar can't get caught in carrier doors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well, I don't know about a collar itself, but I've heard of tags that slide right on to the collar so that they cant get caught in the door, etc. I don't know of any sites, but I googled real quick and found this as an example.

http://www.dogids.com/slondogconap.html

I would suggest a breakaway collar though, definitely.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
whoops I relize I spelled it wrong oh well I'm glad you got the right site anyways. I use that site all the time. the tags are VERY sturdy and wont bend and break. the engraving is also very deep and easy to read.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received the collar tag from boomerangtags today. I've to say I like it a lot. It feels so nice and thick and the engraving is deep. The moment I saw the new tag, I realized how "cheap" her old tag was! I had no idea, I thought they are all the same. :eek:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
The only form of ID I can guarantee you won't get caught on something is a microchip, which I highly advised getting before you travel (if you haven't already of course :)).

Good luck in your travels...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! She has a microchip already but the airline requires a collar & tag and the www.hsus.org mentioned about "a collar that can't get caught in carrier doors" which makes me wonder if there is such a thing... Now I got her a breakaway collar with a collar tag (a flat tag on the collar). Nothing is 100% safe but at least I feel more comfortable about the situation now. :)

The only form of ID I can guarantee you won't get caught on something is a microchip, which I highly advised getting before you travel (if you haven't already of course :)).

Good luck in your travels...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts