Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question but I have to admit I do not know.

When you ae buying a collar, is the size of the collar represent the collar at it's largest size? Or does it represent the smallest size? Meaning will a 23" collar go from say 20" - 23" or does it go from 23" - 26"?

I'm buying a collar over the internet (no good pet stores here) and my 9 month old Yellow lab has a neck 22" around if you do not pull it tight around all of the loose skin he has around his neck. He's going to be a moose. Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If you're buying for a growing puppy, I'd get an adjustible collar that will fit the dog for at least a reasonable period of time. Later, after the dog's fully grown I'd get a good leather collar. If your dog has a 22 inch neck a 23 " collar would fit him but won't give him a lot of growth room.

I think it probably measures to one of the middle holes on a buckle collar but I've never really measured it to find out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The rule of thumb I've always gone by for buying collars is to measure the dog's neck, then add 2 inches and buy the collar that size. Example, if your dog has a 22 inch neck, I'd buy a 24 inch collar. That rule of thumb has always given me plenty of room to tighten or loosen adequately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts