Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a new colar and or harness for my bigger huskies and I was curious would a harness be a better choice for them.

I dont have pulling issues with them since they listen to voice commands very well. So using a collar for training purposes isnt needed here.

I was thinking about getting them harneses simply because it seems to be a little more comfortable for them and the leash doesnt seem like it would get caught under them as much.

Which would be btter for walking two well behaved huskies.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Whatever makes you more comfortable. Since they don't pull, a collar maybe even be more comfortable for them, but if you get a well-fitted harness it shouldn't matter.

I tend to use collars for walking simply because a plain buckle collar is req'd for a lot of our doggie activities, so I have a lot of them around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We picked wolfie up a harness and he loves it, although he thinks he can pull with it so we are going to have a few re-training sessions with him on it, but it shouldnt be an issue. he seems more comfortable wearing the harness, the collar always seems to bug him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if your dog doesn't pull (hooray for that!) then I think a collar would be sufficient. It's easier to put on anyway....haha. Harnesses can be uncomfortable on dogs, they can rub and cause wounds. I have seen this on a friend's dog and it looked painful. On the other hand I Have never seen any chafing problems with a regular nylon or leather collar. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they dont wear the collar or harness while at home or in the back yard. They are micro chipped if they ever get out which I hae yet to have them try.

I mainly use it for walks and when going for rides in the car. we just purchased one for now, to see how each of the dogs handle them :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts