Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a dog that no matter what style collar or harness you put on them they manage to chew it up. Normally I'd just take it off of her when i'm not around to avoid this but I can't bring myself to do that when she and her sibs are outside most of the day while we are at work. All the ones we've bought have been nylon should we try Leather or does someone have any other suggestions be sides putting her in a chain collar. My husband has had issues in the past with them and refuses to put another dog in one.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would never, ever, leave a choke chain on an unattended dog. One thing to beware of is that if you have multiple dogs loose without supervision in any collar (except a break-away) there is always a chance that another of the dogs will grab the collar, get it's jaw caught in it and be unable to release. Sometimes if nobody is there to help them, you can end up with a strangled dog.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other two are older and have been in collars their whole life. The other two don't mind the collars and leave them be. Just the puppy has issues.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I don't see how it would be possible for a collar which was properly fitted up under the chin and close behind the ears to be chewed. Perhaps adjusting the placement and fit of the collar would solve the problem.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Have you found the clasp broken to indicate that? Buying an adjustable collar with NO clasp (make it big, put it over their head, then adjust to a tighter fit) or buying one with a metal or metal/plastic hybrid would solve this if it were the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts