Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Tessa always scratches at her collar. She is so small and the only one I could find for her at the local stores was a tiny nylon one. I think that her skin is pretty sensitive and was wondering should I look for a leather collar? Or is this something that she will grow out of?

I never had any problems with collars on Lizzie though she walks on a harness.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
She might just not be used to it yet. But it could also be irritating. Since she's still growing, I wouldn't yet spend the money on leather but you could try covering the nylon with a little tube cover of soft fabric or fleece (super easy to sew). Then, if she stops scratching, you'll know it was the nylon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You may find an assortment of cat collars at a dollar store. Sasha started in a cat collar.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Is it an option to leave the collar off until you need to put it on (for going outdoors, walks, etc)?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it an option to leave the collar off until you need to put it on (for going outdoors, walks, etc)?
That is what I've been doing. I had left it on her so she could get used to it.

Luckily I found a nice small step in harness for her today and she seems to be happy walking with it on.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
In forty plus years of dog ownership, the only time my dogs wear collars is when they are directly attached to a leash and under my direct supervision.

Collars are dangerous and lots of accidents happen.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In forty plus years of dog ownership, the only time my dogs wear collars is when they are directly attached to a leash and under my direct supervision.

Collars are dangerous and lots of accidents happen.
x2.. My dogs do not wear collars unless we're walking on or off leash outside. Both of my dogs are microchipped if something happened that the front door of my house was left opened for some irresponsible reason and they got out w/o their collars on, which has happened.. but thankfully they just come right back.

IMO, it is not safe to leave a collar on a dog when not supervised. I've heard far too many stories of dogs strangling themselves, or seriously injuring themselves this way. Also, would you want to wear a collar every day all day long? I can't imagine making my dogs wear something around their neck for days on end. Just me though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also, would you want to wear a collar every day all day long? I can't imagine making my dogs wear something around their neck for days on end. Just me though.
My three year old dog has what looks like anxiety attacks when we take his collar off of him. Its his and he seems to feel naked without it. Its like me without my wedding ring. He would need to be trained to go without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts