Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have had foster puppies before, and all of them adjusted to wearing a collar in about a day and was fine to walk on a leash in no time at all. The puppy I just got HATES wearing her collar! She whines, and cries, almost like the collar is killing her...lol...I know she just has to get used to it, but she also doesn't seem to get the concept of the leash. She simply lays down, and refuses to walk. Again, I know it will take more time, but any suggestions on how to make her understand better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would just leave it on her in the house while you go about your own business in the same room. She may cry and scratch and try to get it off, but eventually she'll get used to the feeling of having it on. You can also put on the collar and leash when she's having her meals or before giving her a toy to chew on; that will help associate them with positive things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think she's pretty much used to the collar now and seemed better with her walk this afternoon on my lunch break, which is good! I have another question though...This pup seems VERY timid. For example whenever I walk up to you she will run away and if you are trying to get her attention she runs away as well. Also, Im trying to teach her to sit before she gets her meal but she seems terrified when I push her bum down to learn the command. I really dont think she was abused or anything like that with her last owners, but Im trying to figure out how to increase her confidence and let her know I'd never hurt her. Any suggestions? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts