Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum--not sure if I'm posting in the right place! My husband and I just adopted a 4 year old American cocker whose previous owner had not really trained him beyond house breaking him. When we first got him, he was terrified of everything (boxes, large bags, loud noises, shoes, etc), didn't know how to walk on a leash and had really bad leash aggression toward other dogs. He would jump all over people who came into our home and bark at them very aggressively whenever they stood up from the couch or a chair. He's really improved in all these areas except the leash aggression and barking at people when they stand up. We've used a combination of positive and negative reinforcement with him, but are at a loss as to what to do about this remaining aggressive behavior. Does anyone have any suggestions, or do we need a trainer?

Thanks!!

Katie

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I would recommend a certified behaviorist, not necessarily a trainer. This is not a what the dog does problem as it is what the dog feels problem. Changing the association requires great skill, and can be easily fouled without being demonstrated the techniques.

http://www.iaabc.org/suchen/

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree completely with CP. You might also be interested in picking up a few books:

"Click to Calm" by Emma Parsons
"Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown
"Fiesty Fido" by Patricia McConnell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'm going to start with the Ali Brown book...just checked it out on line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts