Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
Is that really a purebred Ridgeback or a mix with a ridge? I've seen the ridge occur in known mixes which explains the color without being a genetic abnormality.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
No it's a real ridgeback, it happens but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Another breed worth mentioning is the Azawakh. Only accepted in reds and brindles, they must have white markings, black mask not accepted(FCI). AKC accepts them in any color. Most breeders only breed with red dogs, but in Africa they come in all sorts of colorings.
Particolored
Brindles, left one with black mask
Blue
Sand
Faded saddle and blanket

The type that FCI prefers:

It's a shame this is the only type being bred for within the FCI, when there's such a diversity of coat colors in the Azawakh's countries of origin.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another breed worth mentioning is the Azawakh. Only accepted in reds and brindles, they must have white markings, black mask not accepted(FCI). AKC accepts them in any color. Most breeders only breed with red dogs, but in Africa they come in all sorts of colorings.
Particolored
Brindles, left one with black mask
Blue
Sand
Faded saddle and blanket

The type that FCI prefers:

It's a shame this is the only type being bred for within the FCI, when there's such a diversity of coat colors in the Azawakh's countries of origin.
I love Azawakhs! A lot of my friends are breeders of the breed and my sister is thinking about getting one. Hope so! My borzoi would love that! hehe thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Or is that a weim with tan points? It would help if you would label the breed when they are puppies....it's hard to distinguish, especially with such rare colors.
Here is what they are in order

Greater Swiss Mt. Dog
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Schipperke
Great Dane
Labrador Retriever
Dogue De Bordeaux
Poodle

In the list Chaos posted it corresponds as a Labrador Retriever.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
In the list she/he posted it corresponds as a Labrador Retriever.
Yes it is a lab, and last time I checked I was a she lol.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Lol, good to know! Just didn't want to assume =)

So is the Labrador considered just a black lab with tan points?
Yeah I believe so. Most people online think I am a guy at first, and then again someone thought I was a guy in RL also, granted I was wearing a hat and baggy clothes.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
whoa, those are all awesome but I would have never guessed that was a Swissy!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Some of these pics are interesting, very unique looking. I have seen several tan point labs and a couple with brindle points in the tan. I also saw some interesting mosiac labs on a breeders site showing mismarks.

Azawahk are a neat breed and I hate seeing trivial color restrictions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Insanely cool.. the Dobe looks like he knocked over a paint can!

Are there health issues, or anything, that is linked to these colour mutations?
I don't think there are any health problems linked with these genetic problems. These dogs are perfectly healthy. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
yup, Border collie come in every coat colour, Brindle is actually more common then you might think, its not common as all brindle and white, but brindle points on a tri are quiet normal.

the AKC standrad has no real bearing whatsoever on the BC, but I looked up their "standard" and this is what it says for colour
The Border Collie appears in all colors or combination of colors and/or markings

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
In Beagles there are only two acceptable color variations- tri color and lemon and white.
However there are the colors that breeders market. Sometimes I doubt the validity of the lineage of the dog but anyways I'll list all of the possible variations of colors making the assumption the dog is purebred-
Merle (never seen a registered pedigreed merle)
Chocolate
Black/white no brown
blue tri
khaki
silver tri
dapple
"white" really an extreme lemon and white
And of course any color may contain red ticks or blue ticks similar to an Australian heeler

Here's some examples of oddly colored Beagles-
Blue-

Khaki-

Chocolate and white, my favorite-

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sometimes I doubt the validity of the lineage of the dog
I feel the same about merle in Chihuahuas, which is why I don't think I could ever own one. I'm also unclear on how long hair Chihuahuas came to be.. but that's a whole 'nuther topic!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
No, none of them are weims.

I also like these

Not a DQ, just very undesirable

And these are

Dunker
Keeshond
Boston Terrier
Bulldog
that boston is very different looking...not just in color but also his tail is not the norm ether....obviously its an action shot so its hard to get a real idea

21 - 40 of 117 Posts