Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Killian used to have an AMAZING coat. It was shiny, but not oily, and his skin was great. After switching from pedigree to Canidae though it was become dry, started changing from black to a dark brown in some areas and he has really bad dandruff.

He is short-haired. I was wondering what would be best for him?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've heard this a lot with Canidae for some reason. Have you tried giving him a fish oil capsule daily? He may need it, if Canidae is lacking this.

You could also switch foods. I like Acana grain free, Earthborn grainfree, Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Prime, Innova Evo, Orijen, and Taste of the Wild. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, Evo and Orijen, while very good foods, are very high in protein, so you may want to avoid them; they're also expensive.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually researching what is going to be best for me to switch to because I don't like how they're doing on Canidae. I really hope that switching helps his coat. I will look into the fish capsule, as well. Does it need to be a specific brand? Also, do you break it open and put it on their food, or just feed it to them whole?

I've heard this a lot with Canidae for some reason. Have you tried giving him a fish oil capsule daily? He may need it, if Canidae is lacking this.

You could also switch foods. I like Acana grain free, Earthborn grainfree, Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Prime, Innova Evo, Orijen, and Taste of the Wild. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, Evo and Orijen, while very good foods, are very high in protein, so you may want to avoid them; they're also expensive.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
There's nothing inherently wrong with Canidae, but some dogs have better coats when they get more fat in their diets. It has 16% fat, which is pretty typical for grain-inclusive foods. Some of the foods we were discussing in your other thread should help. Earthborn Grain Free has 20% (Taste of the Wild does as well) and their Primitive Natural formula has 22%.

I just give her fish oil pills as a treat and she licks it and eventually eats the whole thing. If you do give fish oil on a regular basis, I would consider also supplementing vitamin E, as it is used when the body processes omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It could be a health issuepopping up, like thyroid issues too. Just something to keep in mind if a food change doesnt help. I rotate fods monthly to eliminate issues like this. My dogs are never on the same food long enough to be lacking something.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it doesn't clear up with the food switch I will take him to the vet. He doesn't seem to be having any other problems, and it happened after I switched so I think it's that.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. =]

It could be a health issuepopping up, like thyroid issues too. Just something to keep in mind if a food change doesnt help. I rotate fods monthly to eliminate issues like this. My dogs are never on the same food long enough to be lacking something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts