Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Hello everyone, new here.

Quick question for you all. Our black male Newfie named Harley (17 weeks old) has a lovely fluffy coat, except for a small patch of more coarse black hair on the upper part of his tail (at first glance it looks as if he has been licking it).

Is this usual, as it looks a bit odd?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome to Dogforums...

Well I checked the standard in one of my many dog books and the coarseness on the tail is not supposed to be there or anywhere on the newfie's coat. There coat is oily to prevent water from reaching the skin when in the water. Lift the skin where the tail is...part it and check to see that there is no redness, hotspots or flea allergy there or for that matter any other problem. If there is nothing that signifies a skin problem leave it alone. But if you still want a second opinion, take your dog to the vet just for a check up and bring up the coarseness on the tail. Good Luck and give your newfie a big huge for me I love Newfies they look like teddy bears when small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Harley" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Harley" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Harley" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

This is Harley when he was 10 weeks old. He is now 17 weeks old and a lot bigger (4.5 stones now)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Dogforums...

Well I checked the standard in one of my many dog books and the coarseness on the tail is not supposed to be there or anywhere on the newfie's coat. There coat is oily to prevent water from reaching the skin when in the water. Lift the skin where the tail is...part it and check to see that there is no redness, hotspots or flea allergy there or for that matter any other problem. If there is nothing that signifies a skin problem leave it alone. But if you still want a second opinion, take your dog to the vet just for a check up and bring up the coarseness on the tail. Good Luck and give your newfie a big huge for me I love Newfies they look like teddy bears when small.

Thanks for the welcome.

I have checked his tail and there is no redness at all. The hair has an oily look about it with thick hair and lies flat whereas the rest of his tail is quite fluffy (cotton wool type texture). Lovely little lad nevertheless

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! Your newfie is absolutely adorable.
He is probably just growing in his outer coat. My Luca started to grow his outer coat around his 3rd month. It started on his tail first and then on his back. It will take months for him to grow his full outer coat. It will be thicker and it will be oily. It will also fall back flat when you run your hands through it.
I do not think you have anything to worry about, especially since you check for any irratation.
Enjoy your newfie! They are simply the best!:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gray, mine Teddy did the same thing on his tail, no worries, it fills back in nicely as they get older. Mine is now 9 months old and his coat still needs a long way to go to fill out, but his tail is now back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts