Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like telling you people some close encounters my dogs have had...with death! :eek:
Then I hope to hear some stories you might have to tell.

Okay let's start with Lazy my GSD, he's had about 4 encountersthat I can't remember of. #1. Lazy has a bad habit of running after cars, well... My dad of all people drove over him with the truck, then my mom had to stitch him up. My own father :eek:...Lazy didn't realize that a truck is longer then a car... #2. This time my niehbour came to pay rent and as he drove of Lazy past behind the car thinking it's going to continue going strait, but no insted of leaving from our second driveway he stoped and backed up without looking and Lazy had no time to react and he got hit in the head with the bumper of the car. Lazy lost his right eye to that, now he has an empty eye socket. #3. Lazy and his newly blind eye + bad car habit = Getting hit by my other neibours truck... Bad doggy, He realized it wasn't smart after the third time, but he still does it when you're not looking. #4. Lazy was in the horse pasture and one of the horses we had, Jessica (Quarter horse), hated dogs, and she purposly tryed to trample him after getting too close to my other horse, Daphne's filly Dallas (Havlingers). Now that one was realy his own fault.

Okay my other dog Whiskey, hmmm.... Nope, she's smart, she learned from Lazy's experience what not to do.

So ya this is the close encounters of the doggy kind for my dog.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Only had encounters like this with Smalls. She broke a candle right in front of me and when I stood to get it, get gobbled the glass around it up as fast as she could (she had guarding problems as a pup). And once she got out while I was moving and ran straight into a very busy road only to have her face inches away from a tire. I've never seen someone slam on the breaks so hard. Would have never forgiven myself if she had been run over.

Oh, and nearly forgot her lunging on her leash at a COYOTE in our yard, and getting into a scrap with a raccoon. We walked around the house and this thing came right at her. Luckily my roommate was RIGHT there with us and kicked over the trash can to scare it into running. There was blood every where, but not a single mark on her that the e-vet could find. 3 months old and already a scrapper.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Getting hit by a car is in now way a dog's fault. It is the fault of owners that are not properly supervising their dog.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's difficult to supervise your dogs when you live on a cash crop farm, there is always things that need to be done, and it's hard to notice if the dogs have slipped away.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
One day we were out swimming in our lake and Duke, being part lab loves swimming all over the lake. This day he swam across and we could see him sniffing around in the edge of the woods. suddenly a giant black cat jumped out of the woods and hissed at him. This cat was crouched down so its hard to estimate its exact size but it was similar in size to my aussie and it had a tail. Anyways Duke was very excited to find a gaint kitty to play with him but luckily he came back when we called. he had a cut on his nose that was bleeding a bit but otherwise he was fine. We still can't figure out what jumped out at him, we've heard stories that there are panthers around but I always figured they were just stories. We are in Indiana lol

Boomer is allergic to bees so he has had a couple allergic reactions that were scary.

Preston well he has had a lot of close encounters.. I wasnt there for this one, but when he was a puppy he fell off the couch and hit his head, causing him to loose consiousness for a minute or two. someone once dropped a piece of chicken fresh out of the oven that he swollowed. Luckily it was a small piece so after x rays all he needed was antibiotics for a burnt tongue. And his other close encounter is pretty disgusting but was the worst. one winter he managed to get ahold of some kind of frozen turd (ewww) and choked on it. when he grabed it, he took off running around the yard to get away from my dad who was trying to get it out of his mouth. He ended up passing out and my dad thought he was dead. My dad was able to do the heimlich manuever and get it out. I'd say the moral of this story is to make sure your dog has a good recall and a good "leave it" and "drop it"

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
One of my previos dog had two incidents with cars. First one was when she took off after a dog that was chasing a car, and disregarded the car entirely.

Since the other dog was on the other side of the road, her path to head it off was right into the car, and she hit the car at top speed. Luckily she ran into the side of the front tire. A foot more forward or backward and it would have been over.

The next was at the beach when my girlfriends little brother threw the frisbee for her, right in front of a car.

Luckily the car driver hit the brakes when he saw the kid throw it, and she only got rolled up under the engine. She scrambled out and hid under my truck the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sounds like you need to take better responsibility for your dog.

once getting hit is a accdent, 3 times, its lazynss on the owner.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do take care of our dogs, we take full responsibility for them. You can say that we are irresponsible all you want, you don't have a dog that attacks cars, so you don't know how hard it is to break this habit. He's doing better now, he still runs after them, but less offten.

And FYI our dogs have it WAY nicer then any other dog around here, I feel so sorry for those dogs... They have a terrible life.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Correct, I dont have a dog that chases cars.

I have a dog that wants to chase every motorcycle he sees. which is hrd because my boyriends whole side of the family rides motorcycles. I just dont avehim offleash/outside alone when tey are messing with their 'cycles.

Its called training, dont let them run free if you can not watch them. Simple.

Sorry Ithink it is VRY irresponsible tohaea do that has ben hit 3 differnt imes. all due to begligence when ou now full well the dog will chase cars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We can't tie the dogs, they're guard dogs. They need to be offleash to watch our property, wouldn't be the first time something got stollen because the dogs were tied. And as I said he is getting better, I'm not fully prowd of myself either having the dog get hit 3 times.

P.S. re-read before you post, your missing some buttons, it's hard to read.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Okay, so in your last thread you post about how you leave your dogs sitting in your unfenced front yard all day unsupervised, now you make a new one talking about how your dog keeps getting hit by cars.

Surely I'm not the only one thinking this: What the hell!?!?

EDIT: Your dogs aren't tools, they're living beings, and it's your responsibility to protect them from harm. Either get a fence or get an alarm system, for Pete's sake.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I was a full time dairy farmer operating 72 head of milking cows (top herd in the County and top 3% in the State), 60 young stock and over 450 acres of land for 20 years. I had two dogs (one time 3) at any given time. They were with me, or around me, all the time all day every day. Most of the time they were outside with me. If I went inside they were inside with me. When I went to Town to get parts etc. at least one of them was with me.

We had people driving in and out of the farm.. tank trucks to pick up milk, repairmen, ourselves, visitors, sale people etc. I NEVER had a dog that chased a car OR got hit by a car. I trained my dogs and I watched my dogs.. I did not lose track of my animals, no matter how busy I was, including the cattle and the horses and the dogs and the cats. Living on and working a farm is no excuse to not pay attention to the whereabouts of your animals. That is the job..

In another thread I said I taught my dogs were to run when I was running a vehicle.. because, as previously said, they do not understand that they will ALWAYS lose the argument with the vehicle. After a bit of training they knew where to be when we ran machinery, but it took my attention and consistancy training/reminding them to get this. It also required me to PAY ATTENTION.

Most dogs I had reached a day in their young lives where they got the idea that chasing a wheel on a tractor or a car on the dirt road was fun. You can bet I stopped it the FIRST time. Absolutey put an end to it. Immediately and by whatever means necessary.

These dogs were mostly mixed breed dogs though I did have a German Shepherd who herded cattle and worked. She also herded horses and any other animal I asked her to herd. The dogs went out with me when I had the horse too. Again, training is important. I wanted no trampled dogs.

Dogs do not learn from other dogs by observing a behavior and then thinking, "Gee I won't do that.. it got my buddy in trouble." If it worked like that I would open a training kennel, have a bank of kneels with a center aisle, train one dog and then show the others what to do by working the trained dog in front of them.

Not keeping track of a dog that chases cars to insure the dog does not chase cars is irresponsible animal ownership. Being a farmer is no excuse.

FWIW, the breed is Haflinger.. a small flaxen maned chestnut to palomino draft breed typically under 14.2 Hands High.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you suggesting that I tie my dog and give it no life, that's what I'm getting. We also had a dairy farm before, but as I said they are GUARD DOGS!!!!! THEY MAKE SURE NOTHING EVER GETS STOLLEN!!!! We now have a farm with over 4 millions $ worth of equipment, I think you would be worried too if something has already gotten stolen.
And my Aussie DID learn from my other dog, she chased cars too, but stoped after Lazy got hit, DOGS ARE NOT STUPID!!!!How many people agree with me that dogs are not as stupid as this is making them sound. FWI I'm always with my dogs if I'm not in the house, or at school. Jessica only tried to trample Lazy because he had gotten TOO CLOSE to the filly. READ before complaning.

I know it's a Haflinger, did it occur to you that the F is above the V and that I missed it. And they're not supposed to be 14.2 hands in height but during World War II, Haflingers were bred to produce horses that were shorter and more draft-like for use as packhorses by the military. After the war, breeding emphasis changed to promote refinement and height.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Oh geeze.... I am talking to a kid..maybe 16? *sigh*

No, dogs are not stupid but they do not learn these things from each other. They do cue off of each other but not to this extent. There are other things they do learn and are stellar at (many things you rather they NOT learn from each other! LOL).

My dogs also were around the farm to help be sure nothing got stolen and I had similar assetts. Farmers do tend to have a lot of value tied up in machinery and animals and tools etc. and land. We had insurance to cover theft as well and my dogs still did not get hit by cars.

The Halflinger has become more refined. Of course this has made the horse more acceptable and marketable as there is little call these days for small draft horses. Due to their somewhat flashy action I have seen them used in carriage competitions (four in hand).

The Suffolk Punch has suffered a similar decline and has recently become a rare breed which is too bad. No need for small, light, draft horses.

Did not mean to ruin your day K9Wolf but ease up a bit. This is a DOG FORUM and the INTERNET where you discuss things and people do not have to agree with you (I, for one, do not agree and I have a farming background and an animal training background and I disagree based on years of experience combined with no small amount of academic training). We do not HAVE to agree.

Getting your drawers in a bunch over an internet forum when someone you do not know and will never meet does not agree with you is a bit silly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know you don't have to agree, but it's just the fact that had you been in my shoes, you would have realized that nothing in this world is going to haved stoped these accidents from occuring. And my Aussie chased cars just as mutch as my GSD, from the day he got hit I have never seen her chase a car again, ever. You're telling me dogs can learn from each other, seems like she did here. And you didn't ruin my day, wanna know what did, Lazy was attacking somekind of animal in a pile of branches and got 3 big cuts on his front legs and paw.

And why are people always suprized when they realize that I'm 15, almost sixteen.

Our neighbour breeds Suffolks, the same breeder we got Jessica from.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never had a dog hit by a car, though, and I hope I never will. I know several dogs who have been hit by cars, whether they were let out accidentally or just allowed to roam the streets. It's never the dogs fault, but sometimes it's not entirely the owners fault either. If them being outside unsupervised and uncontained is an accident. I just have little faith in a dog's ability to reliably stay out of the road, having almost hit our neighborhood roamer once or twice. :)

Jake has chased a bear once, but that's a bit different.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I know you don't have to agree, but it's just the fact that had you been in my shoes, you would have realized that nothing in this world is going to haved stoped these accidents from occuring.
Besides (1) a fence, or (2) training?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chased a bear?!?!?!?! Cool.... All my dogs chase are either poop balls or cars, occasionaly a turkey or a moose :( I'm embaressed

·
Registered
743 Posts
Chased a bear?!?!?!?! Cool.... All my dogs chase are either poop balls or cars, occasionaly a turkey or a moose :( I'm embaressed
Lol I wouldn't call it cool, I was terrified and just completely relieved that he came running back in one piece after we heard a huge roar. He was confined to a rope the rest of the night :eek: I hope it never happens again, even if it does make for a good story. He chases moose and squirrels, but calls off of them pretty reliably(and he isn't allowed to get after the moose, if I see them in our yard he just doesn't go out until they're gone).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts