Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 -year old Maltese was prescribed clomipramine hydrocholride for separation anxiety (it was a last resort--we've tried DAP collar and diffuser, Pet Eze calming chew, Thundershirt, and continued behavior modification training). The brand-name Clomicalm is so much more expensive than the generic clomipramine, so I'd like to use the generic if at all possible. Here's the rub: The smallest dose available is a 25 mg capsule, and my dog needs about half that a day. My question is, while I know you can't exactly "split" a capsule like you would a pill, is there any way I can fill the prescription with the generic? Can I spill the medicine out and measure it? Weigh it? Dissolve it in chicken broth and split that evenly? Just wondering if anyone has personal experience with this.

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Are you sure it's not available to you in a 25mg tablet? I know it is here in Ontario. Ask the pharmacist to check....

The problem is clomipramine is VERY bitter, so trying to split a capsule by emptying it halfway and then being stuck with the powder only is going to make it very hard to dose the dog. Splitting a tablet with a pill cutter would be easier and then putting the half tablet in a Pill Pocket will make it go down easy. If you cannot get the pill version in the 25 mg size I would highly recommend biting the bullet and paying for the clomicalm chewable.

Cracker is on clomipramine for SA as well. She's done very well on it combined with the behaviour mod and we are now reducing the dosages, it's been a year and half on the meds. I also found supplementing with L-theanine very helpful as well, it's available at the vet as Anxitane but can be found in natural food stores in capsules that can be opened and sprinkled on the dog's food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Maggi,

Thanks so much for your idea!!! I couldn't find any generic clomipramine tablets in the US, but I did find the generic tablets online from a reliable Canadan pharmacy, so I went ahead and ordered those. I'm anxious to get them and get my dog started on the medication! She had been getting 10 mg a day of L-theanine (it's the ingredient in the Pet-Eze calming chews), but it didn't seem to have much (if any effect on her). Maybe combined with the clomipramine it'll work better. How many mg is Cracker getting? It's so heartening to hear you've had success with Cracker and her SA! I read your thread about reducing her meds; you've been through a lot!

Thanks again for the great ideas! They are much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts