Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question: A couple questions actually.

First: How short can a groomer get a dog's nails? Donatello's nails are somewhat-short, but I can't seem to keep up with them!

Second: Can I just walk into a grooming salon and ask for them to just clip his nails as short as they can take them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Groomers will generally try and get them as close as possible safely without quiking the dog. If the dogs nails are clipped often or if the dog walks on pavement often (which naturally keeps nails a bit shorter) then we can usually keep them a decent length.

If the nails are left too long and keep growing sometimes the quiks get long as well which makes it hard to get the nails as short as you may like. You could always get a dremel or have a groomer dremel the nails once a week and over time they'll get shorter and shorter without hurting the quik.

I have wood floors so I dremel my dogs nails at least once a week to keep them short so they don't scratch it up.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response SMoore. That's just what I was wanting to know.

I was going to go in and ask how much something like that would cost, and how short they could get them- But I didn't want to look like a fool! lol!

Donatello's nails grow like weeds! They really do, I guess that's a good thing?? I haven't been told otherwise. I clip them with nail-clippers when I can, then file them down as well. We have suede furniture and I'm afraid he'll puncture it one of these days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts