Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm planning on getting a new dog sice and would like to get it right this time ( last time it was hard cause i was about 5).
So I would like to know how a clicker works?
What are the differences between training with and without a clicker?
I am planning on training without...any objections or tips?
thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
So I would like to know how a clicker works?
A clicker merely "marks" a single moment in time, but does so with great precision. The particular behaviour that the dog is presenting at that moment in time is then quickly and immediately reinforced, usually with a small food treat. Behaviours that are reinforced are more likely to re-occur. It's a pretty simple concept, if you think about it actually.

What are the differences between training with and without a clicker?
Clicking lends itself well to an increase in precision (ie: faster results), over non-clicking methods.

I am planning on training without...any objections or tips?
Training without is fine. But if you're utilizing a "positive reinforcement" approach (which I hope you are), then clicker will likely get you where you're going, faster. However, it takes a firm understanding of the basic principles, some practice, and a great sense of both mechanical and observational skills to get the timing right.

edit: in place of a click you can use a "verbal" marker instead, (such as yes! or good! etc) which will produce very similar results, but for most people, will lack the *ultra-precision* that a clicker will provide.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Here's the practical difference between using your voice as a marker in positive reinforcement training and using a clicker. I was training Kabota basic stuff, sit, down, come with treats and my voice as a marker. I was getting about 75-80% compliance on sit and down with my voice and 50% with come. I switched to using the clicker, and I had 100% compliance with all three, and he was running to come, not ambling over when he felt like it.

The clicker is just so much more precise than your voice. You can't say "good boy" or "yes" the same way every single time. Your voice changes according to time of day, illness, how much you've talked, how thirsty you are, and your mood. You may not really hear the difference, but your dog does, and it shows up in the training.

Watch kikopup on youtube and give it a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts