Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here use a clicker to train? I bought one and try to work with Lincoln at least two times a day. So far we are just on name recognition and he is doing better everyday. I have watched a video or two on different ways to clicker train but Im not 100% sure on what all clicker training is best for. I would love to hear how you all have used or are using a clicker. TIA! :decision:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Clicker (aka marker) training is good for pretty much everything.

This online class is a good beginner class for ALL puppies, not just performance puppies https://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/24 Since this class is a self-study class, there aren't live forums like a regular class would have, but but you have access to all the lectures and instructor videos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clicker (aka marker) training is good for pretty much everything.

This online class is a good beginner class for ALL puppies, not just performance puppies https://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/24 Since this class is a self-study class, there aren't live forums like a regular class would have, but but you have access to all the lectures and instructor videos.
Awesome! Thank you.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I use a clicker for ALL training with my dogs. They just catch on so much quicker when I use it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is interesting to me, because I'm taking my first Fenzi course and they mention the clicker a lot (though though they give other options). I've always used a verbal marker, but I'm thinking of changing it up.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Whether I use a clicker or verbal marker depends on what we are doing, and how many hands I need. If it will take more than two, I use a verbal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes. it's a handy tool, it marks a precise moment of time. There is plenty of free info to get you started, kikopup on youtube has easy to follow lessons.
You can use your voice instead, just choose a short sharp word, could be "click" that you don't normally use to praise or talk to your dog.
Depending on you and your dog, the clicker (the tool) will make alot of difference or not at all. My current dog loves when I use the clicker; it adds clarity. Clearly, for him, I've made a mess of my vocal marker (which was perfect for a previous dog). They are fun & easy & cheap.
For your dogs name, you can skip the clicker, just say name & make sure some fabulous happens, name = treat, name = dinner, name = wonderful things,
have fun with your dog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts