Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm a dog trainer in Brazil and I start to work with clicker training a few months ago, but I have a question.
How do I work with clicker with another dog around? I always watch videos with more than one dog. The sound of the clicker don't means reward for both dogs?
In this video, for example, when she uses another dog as the distraction.. she clicks and reward just one dog, without reward the other dog. This way the clicker don't lost power for the dog that is not being rewarded?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83XyKp9_IVE

Sorry about my english, correct me if I said something wrong. I need to learn. haha

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I use different clickers for my dogs, but when I use a marker word it's not an issue either, even though I use "yes" for both of them. The one I'm not working with is sent to a mat, and doesn't get up until released by name. So the dog on the mat knows that whatever happens, whatever they hear etc, it has nothing to do with them, they stay on the mat until they hear their name.

I taught them to go on the mat as a separate thing so they knew the cue for it, then when I use it in training I will sometimes throw the dog on the mat a treat for being good and staying on the mat. If the dog gets up, I say "no, back on your bed" and if they don't, or they get up again, they get sent out of the room, which means they don't get to train or be around me, which they don't want, so after a couple of times of doing that they stay where they should.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use different clickers for my dogs, but when I use a marker word it's not an issue either, even though I use "yes" for both of them. The one I'm not working with is sent to a mat, and doesn't get up until released by name. So the dog on the mat knows that whatever happens, whatever they hear etc, it has nothing to do with them, they stay on the mat until they hear their name.

I taught them to go on the mat as a separate thing so they knew the cue for it, then when I use it in training I will sometimes throw the dog on the mat a treat for being good and staying on the mat. If the dog gets up, I say "no, back on your bed" and if they don't, or they get up again, they get sent out of the room, which means they don't get to train or be around me, which they don't want, so after a couple of times of doing that they stay where they should.
This is basically how I train with one person, two dogs except instead of a mat, I have the other dog stay in their crate (door open) when I'm working the other dog. There is no confusion as to who is being worked at what time, and it really helps solidify their views of the crate as a "good place" because they're hanging out in there around me and one another, and they get treats thrown to them from time to time!

Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD was instrumental in teaching me how to teach my dogs how to love their crates and to proof them staying in the crates until released. You can find more information and/or order it here http://www.clickerdogs.com/crate_games.php

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

^This. Sometimes though I will ask for a behavior and the first dog gets the click and the treat. The others get "good dog" Great for fast response times!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts