Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the dilemma:

I have Atka the dog on a clicker and it is working well.. beyond anything I ever thought actually. I am learning a lot and she is learning a lot and we are having fun so that is all good.

I have Oliver the 8 month old Cat and I have decided to train him to the clicker as well. he is very very smart and offers so many behaviors.. and aversives do NOT work on cats... (I believe with the proper training this catcould do anything a dog does.. he already retieves like a pro.. I was thinking of taking him Duck hunting.. :) )

So far so good but here is the issue:

If Atka is upstairs with me and Oliver is upstairs as well, and I am working with Oliver, and I click him, Atka hears the click and assumes SHE has done something deserving a reward. Besides the problem of lousing up HER behavior and beyond that the problem of Oliver not getting operant, what do I do? I hate to stick Atka in her crate downstairs and I would rather use opportunity to work with Oliver as it works better that way with cats (it seems).

So, what do I do? Get a clicker that makes a different sound? I do not want Atka to be operant off this other clicker (in fact, other than watching us, that is all I want her to 'help' with.. she just loves Oliver and her help can get very interfering). Do they make clickers that make different sounds so you can use them on two different animals that are proximate to each other? There must be a way.. they do this with all kinds of marine animals that work in pairs etc.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'd start by workign with the animals in separate sessions. They *do* make a digital clicker (you anget it on clickertraining.com) with multiple (4) sounds. I do use a regular old clicker for my guys, though and I ork them at the same time- they learn quickly that the click was meant for whoever got the treat.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
I would work them seperately.... they need the one on one time with their mom anyway and working them seperately is easy enough.
s

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I had intended on working them separately. The issue is that even though I am doing this, the cat is worked upstairs and the dog is "in her spot" on her doggy bed. If she hears the clicker, she comes to me for a treat, even tho I am working with Oliver the Cat!

I figure it I used a different sound with the cat, the dog would be less inclined to notice.

The dog also gets some training in this same area although, due to space, I train her more in the den downstairs or outdoors where I can also use a toy and tug as a reward (we do not do this in the livingroom!).

I have the cat retrieving. He retrieves better than the dog does.. returning his toy to me and putting it in my hand! I want to teach him other things and to reward him for behavior I like (like deciding NOT to jump on the counter.. :rolleyes: ). The dog watches this and I tell her, "See? Taht is what retrieve means.. bringing it all the way to me, not dropping it 5 feet away and coming to me!"

I think I see the dog smile slyly when I say this..... :cool:

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I had intended on working them separately. The issue is that even though I am doing this, the cat is worked upstairs and the dog is "in her spot" on her doggy bed. If she hears the clicker, she comes to me for a treat, even tho I am working with Oliver the Cat!

I figure it I used a different sound with the cat, the dog would be less inclined to notice.

The dog also gets some training in this same area although, due to space, I train her more in the den downstairs or outdoors where I can also use a toy and tug as a reward (we do not do this in the livingroom!).

I have the cat retrieving. He retrieves better than the dog does.. returning his toy to me and putting it in my hand! I want to teach him other things and to reward him for behavior I like (like deciding NOT to jump on the counter.. :rolleyes: ). The dog watches this and I tell her, "See? Taht is what retrieve means.. bringing it all the way to me, not dropping it 5 feet away and coming to me!"

I think I see the dog smile slyly when I say this..... :cool:
oh I see,,,,, you can use a different sound. You can use the word yes..... or you can put the puppy in a crate which is what we do here..... we have seven and we train all seperately and we put others outside or in their crates and then train the one that is out... the others pitch a fit but its a good distraciton
good luck with the cat thats impressive....

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shalva.

I need to work on socializing the cat. If I could get him confident in any place I take him that woud be great. Right now all humans except for me are the enemy and to be hidden from.

What I would LOVE to do (as a gag and also to show people that any animal can learn by positive reinforcement) is to take Olive to an agility trial and have him do the last run on the last day (so as not to leave cat scents on the dog obstacles). If I could get him to understand he can do anything anywhere and not spook (cats are hard this way.. then know their scale!), he would do it.

I know they have agility trials for cats too. I think if Oliver saw Atka doing agility he would want to do it with her. Yesterday I had Oliver out on his leash and was throwing the ball for Atka (starting the two ball thing with her). Oliver chased the ball right with the dog.. getting to it at the same time. It is too big for him to carry but he was paying attention.

Watching these two animlas interact is amazing. It is not that they can't do things.. it is my skills where the break downs occur.

I am new to clicker and positive reinforcement... just started last June with this. I am no expert but I cannot believe the difference between how my dog is learning compared to my last dog with the collar tug thing. The fact that this method is used to train other species like killer whales and tigers got me using it on the cat.

I cannot say enough FOR positive reinforcement or enough AGAINST aversives and why they do not work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts