Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot on clicker training, and I am considering starting my puppy on it. I have one question though. She already knows a few commands, and would starting clicker training now be okay or would it confuse her? She's very smart, and within the 2 weeks we've had her she's completely house trained, and she knows sit, lay down and shake. She almost knows roll over. I'm thinking the Clicker might actually be easier if she knows things because I can use them to get her used to it meaning good things, but I'm not sure.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It won't confuse her. A dog can start on clicker training at any age, but in my experience, the younger, the better. :) I would just "go by the book", if I were you. Charge the clicker and then use it when teaching new behaviors in the future. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The clicker is used in the acquisition of behavior. So if the dog already "knows" the cue, you wouldn't use a clicker to get the behavior. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't, it just wouldn't be necessary. However, if you're seeking to expand your dog's behavior, yes, any age is a good age for a clicker, and using the clicker to condition it with known behaviors is a great place to start.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The clicker is used in the acquisition of behavior. So if the dog already "knows" the cue, you wouldn't use a clicker to get the behavior. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't, it just wouldn't be necessary. However, if you're seeking to expand your dog's behavior, yes, any age is a good age for a clicker, and using the clicker to condition it with known behaviors is a great place to start.
Yup. My dog is not foody, so it's not been something I did a lot with him. However, I had some rescues who were absolutely amazing with the clicker.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You can use other rewards with a clicker. IMO treat doesn't have to mean food. It can mean a toy, affection, whatever your dog goes CRAZY food. Food is just fastest for most dogs.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The only thing my dog goes crazy for is a nap ;)

(but he is very well trained... I still toy with slapping a CD on him, but open isn't his deal- I won't do force fetch and he is not motivated enough by any reward to do PP retrieving, and he has absolutely zero natural retrieving drive).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I started clicker training my dog when she was a little over 2 years old, so it's definitely never too late :) I was amazed at how well she responded to it... the whole reason I tried the clicker was because she is sooo tough to train, and I was willing to try anything new. In no time, she was offering behaviors like crazy trying to figure out what would make me click :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts