Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I am a new owner of a Staffy called MissyMoo .
When MissyMoo is doing a pee or a poo , if i click at the very start which i believe is the right way she just stops to come get her treat and i have to wait for her to start again ( not a problem for me to do ) and then finish to bring her in , if i wait till shes finished and click have i not passed the golden clicking moment ?

Also , if i see her randomly playing ( biting -tugging ) with an allowed item which is one of many she has , if i click could she mistake the click to be just for the behavior and not for using the correct toy , hope that makes sense .
Cheers
BRIAN

·
Registered
412 Posts
What I'd do/suggest is that right as she begins to squat you say "Go Pee/Poo" (or whatever you'd like to use & feel comfortable saying in public!) to begin training a 'relieve yourself on cue' command. As she is emptying you could quietly praise ("gooood girl, good girl go pee) so as not to interrupt the flow. Then the instant she starts to stand up - *that's* the moment to click (or mark "Yes") and then treat.

For general toy playing or chewing on/choosing an approved & appropriate toy, I'd just verbally praise & join in the fun. In that case, I'd worry that interrupting her action & choice of activity (wanting to play with a toy) with a click & running over for a treat will cause her to learn to simply pick up a toy in hopes of earning a C/T - rather than building her duration of interest in one particular item for longer than it takes to grab it. (Is this making any sense... I feel like I'm not wording this very well.)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would click at the end, or just after she has finished peeing. You don't strictly need to use a clicker for this though, you can just praise and reward when she has finished and she will still learn. No, you will not have missed the golden clicking opportunity by clicking at the end or just after. There's no rule that says the click has to happen at the start of a behaviour, you can click at the end of the behaviour and the dog is still getting rewarded for the same behaviour.

For tugging, I would get down there and tug with her with the toy. It doesn't make sense to click and give a treat for tugging. What she wants is to play tug, so it would be more reinforcing for you to join in the game and play with her, and this will also build a lot more interest for that toy than having to stop playing to receive a treat.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I wouldn't use the clicker for either of those situations. For potty training, I just use praise while they are going, and then a treat at the end. A click ends the behavior, and as you've discovered it can make them stop mid pee.

For playing with the correct toys, I would also just praise, or join her in playing with them and the play and interaction with you becomes the reward. If you click, she will stop and look to you for a treat instead of continuing to play.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Agreed with the above.

Also, you can just give treats for good behaviour, no need to click. For example, if my dog was calm around the cat, I will just praise and give her a treat, I don't have a clicker on hand 24/7 or run to find one so I can click to mark it.

I only use the clicker when we're specifically sitting down to teach or work on a behaviour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts