Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
So I have a question; once you charge the clicker, can you do tricks and things where you can click for the behavior you want but you can't offer a treat right after the click? For example, I like to do this thing with Ellie where I will put her in a "sit, stay" and walk about 20 to 30ft away from her. I tell her to "come, stop, and down" with hand signals about 4 to 5 times as she comes to me. Should I click every time she performs the "come, stop, down" or should I wait to click until she has done the whole thing, has reached me, and I can give a treat?

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, I can try and explain it better if need be...
The clicker is used for the acquisition of new behavior. If the dog already knows, has been proofed, and does the behavior for life-rewards, the clicker is not required.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I love this thread! I just bought a clicker myself for my dogs and have been surfing around the internet. I did find this site http://www.clickerlessons.com/ that I found useful, but it comes up pretty quickly with a google search so I'm sure everyone has already found it.

The trouble I am having is training my girls separately. They are always together and act like I am punishing them if I separate them. One learns much more quickly than the other and lives to learn tricks, while the other we will be working on the basics. We also live in a very small trailer with a fairly open floor plan, and I feel like putting one in a bedroom while I work with the other is somewhat of a punishment for the dog. Am I being too sensitive about all this?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The trouble I am having is training my girls separately. They are always together and act like I am punishing them if I separate them. One learns much more quickly than the other and lives to learn tricks, while the other we will be working on the basics. We also live in a very small trailer with a fairly open floor plan, and I feel like putting one in a bedroom while I work with the other is somewhat of a punishment for the dog. Am I being too sensitive about all this?
You probably are being too sensitive because I do believe our dogs should learn to be comfortable alone. One way to convince them of this is with a frozen stuffed Kong filled with all their favorite goodies, when they are separated from others.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The clicker is used for the acquisition of new behavior. If the dog already knows, has been proofed, and does the behavior for life-rewards, the clicker is not required.
Oh...duh, that makes sense. :doh: Thanks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts