Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy will not let us go anywhere near his ears, unless we're petting them! He's got big ole floppy ears that always have gunk in them, and my husband has tried laying on top of him and he fights and whines and kicks and does everything he can to stop us. It's hopeless! He can't sit still for 2 seconds, let alone long enough for us to clean out his ears.

Does anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it??

He has an ear infection now (but that's not the reason he's ear shy, he's always been) ... so good luck to the poor vet that gets to deal with him! Maybe they'll give us a calming pill before he goes... lol. I don't know what the heck they do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
He will get used to it. I had the same problem with my schnoodle when he was a puppy and we had to pull the hair out of his ears. My husband would hold him wrapped in a blanket and I would do his ears while Riley cried and screamed like he was being killed. Now he just lays on the couch and lets me do it and doesn't even move. Keep rubbing and playing with his ears too - this will get him used to you touching his ears.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I just do it. Boone isn't fond of it so I have my husband hold him. What are you doing to stop the ear infections from recurring?

·
Registered
179 Posts
What are you doing to stop the ear infections from recurring?
I was just about to ask the same thing?

Many times yeasty ears are nutrition related. Try a good Probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement such as Probiotic Max : http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=363&category=30

Once the dog will allow you to clean the ears a good maintenance routine for dogs with gunky ears is this : http://www.dogforums.com/dog-health-questions/6964-blue-power-ear-wash.html

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You need to desensitize him. Kikopup has a good demo of the process on YouTube. Basically, you give him really high value treats for letting you touch his ears, then lift his ears, then for letting you wipe the tips, then further up. Then move on to very short cleaning sessions. Eventually, he'll at least tolerate it if you always give him treats during and after.

I've done this with dogs for everything from brushing to nail trimming to tooth brushing. I've got kabota to the point where he drools when he sees his brush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts