Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about cleaning the face folds on a very unwilling and playfully stubborn pug? Do I have to use a q tip on him or can I just take a baby wipe and wipe him down? Thank you for the much needed feedback!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think it matters if you use a q-tip or wipes, use whatever gets the job done the best :D Use both if you have to, it might help giving him a good thorough cleaning. Q-tips for in the folds, and wipes for his face in general. Before you groom him, go on a nice long walk, and play with him until he is tired. The more tired he is, the less of a struggle he will put up. I suggest playing some training games with him to break up the grooming process in steps. You want him to enjoy grooming. Have a handful of very tasty, smelly treats, and step by step go through the grooming process. Touch his face, and if he's alright with that, give him a treat. Touch his folds, and give him a treat if he doesn't pull away. Show him the q-tip or wipe, and if he doesn't freak out, give him some treats. Let him sniff the q-tip or wipes and give him treats. Then touch his face, with the q-tip or wipe and give him a treat if he doesn't back away. If he ever backs away, it means he is not ready, and go to a step where he doesn't pull away or struggle. You might have to just slowly bring the q-tip or wip closer and closer while rewarding him before you can even clean him. It sometimes helps to have the dog on something high like a toilet seat or a table so they can't runaway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use R-7 Ear Cleaner on a cotton ball, just don't soak the cotton ball in the ear cleaner because the cleaner has alcohol in it and will burn his/her eyes if it gets into them (I don't think that it will cause any lasting damage but it can't feel good)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts