Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I second this. Too much alcohol (listerine) can dry the ear out. And if there is any type of inflammation, scratch, ect. ouch! Ear cleaners are ph balanced for ears to keep the environment in the ear stable. This prevents the yeast and bacteria from growing in the ear canal. One more suggestion always clean your dogs ears after bathing or swimming. Great video on cleaning ears!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I use oticalm ointment with eucalyptus--and always put it on the cotton ball, I do not squirt it in his ears---you can get it thru your vet, it smells soooo good and my dog loves getting his ears cleaned (must feel good too)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, my vet told me to never use cotton balls or any material that breaks off. He suggested I use a gauze pad. As for the liquid solution, the best thing would be to buy the ear cleaning solution Otic (forgot the name). But my vet said a mixture of vinegar and water would work, too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also have a Brittany and we do her ears every week or two. If you keep on it, they don't get too bad.

We use Avena Sativa ear cleaning solution that we purchased from our vet, and it works quite well. We squirt some on those disposable makeup pads (about 1-1.5" in diameter, thin, cotton) that can be had for ~$1.50 a pack from the pharmacy and rub them around in her ear canal. Works like a charm!

·
Banned
572 Posts
A mixture of 50% Witch Hazel and 50% Listerine, on cotton balls.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents :)

I use basically the same type of ear wash - 50% Listerine & 50% peroxide. Don't think it matters if you use witch hazel or peroxide, it's more to act as a dilutant. But let me tell you, this works WONDERS!!! While I use it for routine cleaning, this was the only ear wash to completely get rid of my mutt's persistant bacterial ear infection. We wasted so much $$$ at the Vet on oral antibiotics, steroids, ear cleaners such as Otomax, Mometamax, Nolvasan ... Nothing worked. A breeder friend gave me this tip and we noticed a huge difference within 24 hrs. Keep in mind he'd had the infection for nearly two years at that point :eek: I still use it weekly, and ears are squeaky clean!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Golden Retriever that had ear infections, redness etc. I went to the Vet twice, no meds helped.

I made the home remedy found on this site, I think it's called Power Blue, it totally works!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Golden Retriever that had ear infections, redness etc. I went to the Vet twice, no meds helped.

I made the home remedy found on this site, I think it's called Power Blue, it totally works!!!!
yes blue power. works wonders, our standard poodle had a raging yeast infection. hasn't been back since and no dried out ears. however every dog and owner is different. if you don't see the results you want, or if you notice dried out ears (which is hard to do with these type dogs) switch to something different.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Cleaning ears....is this solution okay?....OR homemade solutions?

I want to keep my dog's ears clean...she rubs them sometimes and I'm thinking maybe they just itch OR need cleaning. I'm considering buying "Zymox Ear Cleanser With Bio-Active Enzymes". It had high ratings on amazon.com. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Zymox-Cleanse...TF8&coliid=I1U95Z30E6JESK&colid=2TFFHLWVIXXPE

Does anyone have any views on this OR are there homemade remedies that would work just a good to keep my baby's ears clean? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts