Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Folks who have been here a while might remember me. In a nutshell, things are going GREAT! Brae the Dutchie is the best dog I could ever ask for, I'm still training professionally, the whole nine yards. I just added another puppy to the household and I accidentally got another high energy/high drive pup... So life is more funny than I ever want, hahaa. I haven't been around much since I've been trying to spend less time on the internet. But I am resurfacing to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Disclaimer - I am consulting with many vets and I am not seeking medical advice, just anecdotes and potential referrals.

LONG STORY (spanning over a year) short, Brae has a very small fissure/fracture on his ilium at the iliosacral joint. No idea what caused it, but it's probably been there for a very long time. Brae can do all the things he loves. The caveat is, once in a blue moon a sudden extension of his rear may cause him a jolt of pain. It is not a concern medically, but you can imagine the behavioral fallout I've had to deal with. To make everything easier, Brae has basically not been allowed to play fetch for almost a year. But we went on backpacking trips, he plays tug, hikes, etc. So his quality of life is good. Reason I am writing is even my specialty vet is unsure where to go, and he has never seen this before. The current recommendation is steroid injection. But seeing as there is no urgency, I am doing a little more reaching for resources and expertise. I live in a rural part of the country and need to drive 6 hours just to get a CT scan. So it's a complicated case and I do not have the luxury of experimenting with various tests, diagnostics, etc. CT scans in Sept and Jan show no change. I've been working virtually with a canine PT, and am about to consult with vets at UPenn Vet Working Dog Center. I'm including the latest radiologist report below. And I'm not expecting any miracles, but I figure it never hurts to cast a wide net and see what comes up. Hope you are all doing well!

---------
Case Details: Incomplete fracture observed right SI in September 2020. Recheck CT. Repeat CT of the spine including the pelvis has been performed dated January 22, 2021. This study is compared to the prior study dated September 8, 2020.

The previously identified changes of the right sacroiliac joint remain evident and are static in appearance. On multiplanar reconstruction no evidence of alteration in the joint space width or appearance at any level is observed, suggesting the joint is stable. Surrounding musculature remains bilaterally symmetrical and within normal limits. On multiplanar reconstructions the lumbosacral junction remains within normal limits with normal appearance of the intervertebral foramina. The sciatic nerves are bilaterally symmetrical and gluteal musculature and other paraspinal musculature is within normal limits with bilateral symmetry. The pelvis is intact and the coxofemoral joints are in articulation with adequate femoral head coverage and without evidence of degenerative changes. The alignment and appearance of the included lumbar spine is normal. Ample epidural fat remains evident surrounding the spinal cord or neural canal structures. The included abdominal cavity is normal.

Findings Conclusion Static and chronic changes of the right sacroiliac joint remains concerning for prior healed trauma/inflammation. No evidence of instability of the joint is observed. No other abnormalities to explain ongoing discomfort are identified.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am thinking this is not the same as the link I have included below. However, with working dogs (even when they do not "work" but are high energy in everything they do) this is a common issue ((Degenerative Lumbosacral stenosis) and that stenosis may be the end result of this issue with Brae. Successful surgery was performed at Tufts on one dog I know personally.

I know of several dogs that have had the surgery and some have returned to high impact sport work and other not.. mostly due to an abundance of caution on the part of their owners.

Living in a rural area is wonderful but does have its drawbacks. Wishing you and Brae the best.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts! My vet does not think this is a spine issue at this time since palpation of that SI area clearly induced pain, and there is an obvious little crack in the ilium on two CT scans. In a way, I am relieved it is not a spine issue. The degenerative stuff is terrifying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts