Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas poses many hazards to dogs - now that I am in an apartment that is even more apparent as I don't have a spare room to put the dogs in when the hot turkey is being moved or the lights are being hung.

What do you do during the holidays to protect your dog from "holiday hazards?" What are the hazards and what solutions do you use?

What we do:

- Always unplug the tree when it is unsupervised (Hazard: Electrocution)

- Wrap the bulbs' hangers around each limb so they cannot by knocked off/stepped on/broken (Hazard: Indigesting Foreign Object, Lacerations)

- Never leave food on the counters unsupervised - Misty is tall enough to counter-surf, if it must be left on the counter we put a baby gate across the kitchen entrance (Hazard: Poisoning, Injury from knocking a utensil or kitchen equipment off the counter)

- We cook on the back of the stove so that the Misty (even if she jumps ups) cannot reach the food or burn her paws on the burner (Hazard: Burns, Poisoning, Injury)

- I do not let the dogs hang out in the kitchen (alot of times they lay around while I cook) if I am cooking something that could be toxic for the dogs. Sierra has a much better "leave it" than Misty and Misty will ingest anything. If it is turkey - they are okay - if it is dark chocolate cake - out of the kitchen. (Hazard: Poisoning)

- We decorate in fake plants (Hazard: Poisoning)

- We don't decorate at the "dog's level" as much as possible. (Hazard: Poisoning, Foreign Object Ingestion)

- Occasionally family sees us as "dog people" and tries to give presents to the dogs that are not so dog friendly/something are dogs are not allowed to have - such as rawhides, homemade treats with garlic, onions, raisins (raisin cookies inside of chocolate chips - they said they knew chocolate was poisonous to dogs to they made the switch) - so we never let people gift directly to the dogs - we accept it "for them" and "censor" the goodies. (Hazard: Foreign Object Ingestion, Poisoning, Gastrointestinal Upset, Allergic Reaction (Sierra) and Fights)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Aidan is such an active puppy, that I will put his ex-pen around the tree this year. Otherwise, I predict he will try to remove the ornaments, munch on the branches, unwrap the presents, and drink the water. No tinsel.

We will remove the Christmas tablecloth when we aren't having meals so that Aidan won't pull it off the table.

All gift wrapping items will be stored out of Aidan's reach when they are not actively in use. Otherwise, the bows, ribbons, and gift wrap will be irresistible to him.

I already cook only on the back burners of the stove because of Aidan.

The advent wreath and candles will have to be removed from the coffee table while not in active use because dear Aidan will eat them.

I don't use live plants as decor at Christmas anyway because many are poisonous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The advent wreath and candles will have to be removed from the coffee table while not in active use because dear Aidan will eat them.
I've had to remove most of my decor from the coffee table as Misty is constantly sweeping it off with her tail or nose in the smaller apt - I now decorate mostly on top of my shelves and entertainment center.

Dear Aidan needs to be a slightly pickier eater :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
We never did anything exceptionally out of the ordinary regarding Thanksgiving/Christmas. When we had cats we couldn't put tinsel up (obviously). When we had Daytona the only we really worried about was her tail knocking decorations off of the tree by accident. She never ate them or the tree and she wouldn't jump up onto the counters or stove.

We didn't celebrate Christmas last year and I wasn't here for Thanksgiving (Daytona had passed, my mother can't decorate anymore). I don't know if we'll be doing it this year but now we have an over active puppy now that gets into anything and everything. She -loves- to lay around in the kitchen if we're there but mother can't stand to cook so we don't have to worry about that. I doubt we'll do anything for Christmas - but we might as well just put up a tree with no decorations if we do. xD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,074 Posts
Last year we had a real tree. It sat on the floor. This year will be the first year for Abbylynn and I think the top of a real tree on a stand out of reaching distance is the way to go. I doubt if she has ever seen one. :) She was not with me last Christmas.

Just as with children I puppy -proof for the Holidays just as you would Child-proof. :)


This is a good link to poisonous things for dogs. I copied them all and keep them on my refrigerator for all to see.:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677+1684&aid=1030

It is great for holiday company to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
With Molly... We don't worry too much around Christmas. We don't use plants to decorate, and because of my niece & nephew, everythings well out of her reach.

On a side note: Our old Dal & cat (who no longer has free access to house) caused us to switch to fake trees.. Jewel (dal) LOVED using it as a back scratcher (for a couple years, we just didn't decorate the bottom layers...) and Oliver (cat) liked to climb the tree, and marked it once too, since the fake one, he does niether.

Jewel was always apart of the shredding of the wrapping paper, even in her last days, and stockings were left for last in addition to her getting one for herself with tasty treats and toys.

I do have a favorite Christmas-ey memory though :)

One year, my mom had bought Jewel's Christmas stuff a bit too early, had it in a huge storage tub, at least the height of Jewel, and my mom dileberatly put the tub on the bed (king size, double the height of Jewel), with treats on the bottom... Jewel was nice enough to carefully (no teeth marks on anything, at all) and quiety, get her treats out, and put all the stuff back, and enjoy her giant bone happily on my parents bed. My mom knows she got stuff out, because all the stuff in the box, was far from how she had put it in there & stuff was out of the bags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a favorite Christmas-ey memory though :)

One year, my mom had bought Jewel's Christmas stuff a bit too early, had it in a huge storage tub, at least the height of Jewel, and my mom dileberatly put the tub on the bed (king size, double the height of Jewel), with treats on the bottom... Jewel was nice enough to carefully (no teeth marks on anything, at all) and quiety, get her treats out, and put all the stuff back, and enjoy her giant bone happily on my parents bed. My mom knows she got stuff out, because all the stuff in the box, was far from how she had put it in there & stuff was out of the bags.
Awesome. That's one smart pup!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Awesome. That's one smart pup!
Oh yes. Very very smart, and very stubborn... She got us kids in trouble one Christmas for eating the Hershey's Kisses that were in a jar. Our parents told us they were laxatives (what 7 yr old knows what that is?!) and not to eat them... They were normal candies, but Jewel figured out how to get them & eat them... We only figured it out when we saw her through the window. She pretty much did no wrong in my parents eyes if they didnt see it, and my brothers, sister and I all got blamed at least once by an act caused by Jewel...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top