Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this forum for a while and reading about all the various foods that people give to their dogs and what type of foods "should" be given to their dogs is mind boggling to me.

I give my 5 1/2 months old, 10 lbs terrier-mix puppy, Nutro Ultra Puppy. It's one of the very few that's available at Petsmart with good ingredients (no by products or corn meals). However, it sounds like I'm making the wrong choice according to what many of you are looking for in dog food.

My cats are a bit of a finky eater, and I've tried the higher brand foods (Mother Hubbard, Innova, Nutro, and something else that I can't remember), and they would just turn their noses at it or one cat eats it, but the other won't. After a year or experimenting and spending a lot of money, finally, they both will eat Pro Plan. It's not the greatest food, but they eat it well, and it's not some Meow Mix crap. I give them a lot LESS what is said on the bag to curb weight gain. They have been healthy for the last 3 years that I've had them on it...one is 10 years (and only got sick TWICE in her lifetime), and the other is 5.

Now, when I got my puppy, the shelter gives Science Diet. She didn't eat very well on the puppy formula (they're HUGE kibbles!). So I got the Nutro Ultra.

I would give her 1/3 of a cup twice daily. If I put it down, she would eat maybe a couple kibbles and walk away. Half hour later, she will finish it or eat most of it. There has been times where she will finish the entire 1/3 cup. She's weird when it comes to feedings, she doesn't eat the same amount every time I feed her. There has been couple times where she will just turn her nose away.

Now - with all the foods that's available, I feel like I'm going through the same thing that I did with my cats. I want Stardust to have one of the best foods (I'm thinking either Canindae or Innova, depending on what the special pet store offers), but I don't want to spend my money on a bag (which could be expensive) to see which ones she'll eat every time.

Since Stardust *is* eating the food, but I'm feeling pangs of guilt that she should be on better foods. Any one have some suggestions how I can be sure that she will eat a higher brand food? OR, is Nutro Ultra good enough?

·
Registered
976 Posts
If it works for your dog then stick with it, it is a lot better than IAMS, Science Diet etc.

Blue Buffalo is available at PetSmart, and is a very good food. I used it for a long time with great success. I now use Wellness. I plan to try Natural Balance also in the near future.

You can always email the companies and request a free sample of their food.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Choosing dog food is mind boggling. I usually stick with the foods I'm most familiar with and have had the best experiences with such as...Pedigree and Purina. This time with my puppy I'm using Royal Canin. The food seems to agree with Penny. She likes eating it and its full of all the nutrients she needs to continue growing and getting stronger. But...when you look at all the dog/cat foods on the market, they all say the same thing depending on what exactly your dog/cat needs are. I agree with CorgiKarma..if it works for your dog, stick with it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
my dogs do the best on Purina One...i have tried the "better" brands, only to have them go to pot on it....here pretty soon i intend to switch over to Pro Plan Select (if i can find it) but i think i'll stick w/ Purina....it has worked for me and my dogs for yrs....was just asked the other day what i feed (as the gal was standing there running her hands thru my dogs coats) and when i told her and asked why she said "cuz their coats are so soft and full and shiny"...must be working:D

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Depending on what's available in your area, many feed stores will give you samples (or you can buy them for just a dollar or two) to see if your dog eats it.

I've been through a ton of foods and the only advice I can say it use what works for your dog. You can hear anecdote after anecdote but it doesn't mean your dog will do well on that food too. I would be hesitant to change foods if your dog does do well on one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on what's available in your area, many feed stores will give you samples (or you can buy them for just a dollar or two) to see if your dog eats it.

I've been through a ton of foods and the only advice I can say it use what works for your dog. You can hear anecdote after anecdote but it doesn't mean your dog will do well on that food too. I would be hesitant to change foods if your dog does do well on one.
She does "okay" on Nutro Ultra. By that I mean, if I give her the full amount, she doesn't even eat half of it, so I have to reduce it (from 1 1/2 cups daily to 1 cup or less). Then I would put the food bowl down, and she would not eat out of the bowl. I have to take some of the kibbles out and put it on the floor like a trail, then she'll nibble through the bowl. THEN, on top of that she doesn't finish it, and instead hold it off and finish it later (1/2 hour later or whatever).

So, I don't know if she just accepting the food, but not liking it that much.

SO - UPDATE:
Yesterday I bought Canindae for Stardust. 5 lb bag, it is actually CHEAPER than Nutro Ultra, by $3 AND I have extra 1/2 pound.
I only gave her a small amount mixed with the old food...I don't want to her to have stomach issues/upset. She ate ALL the new food and just nibbled a little on the old. She kept taking out the new food and eating it. So I assume that she really likes this one better. The pet store only provides Canindae and Innova, but has smaller bags for Cainiade, not Innova.

I feel a little better with my choice, and knowing that she is getting a good food. I like Nutro's ingredients, but I'm just a little wary with the company due to recalls (I'm not saying that there WILL be a recall, but one recall is too many). Nutro is the only one that's the best at Petsmart compared to the others. IF for whatever reason, Stardust turn her nose from the new food when it's is not mixed with the old food, I will go back to the old food, and keep her on that. Then I can look back and say that I've tried.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I kept reading before I posted so I see you got Canidae. If she eats it, that's great. If she does well on it, that's great as well. This is not necessarily for you but for anyone reading. I sometimes wonder if people realize all the different places that carry dog food: pet stores, human organic food stores, feed stores, groomers, some vets, etc. I tell people to look at a dog food website to get an idea of who sells what but that they are not always up to date. I was told by a couple companies that if the store doesn't let the company know they're carrying their food, they may not be on the website. It's also interesting to hear that some people refuse to travel any distance for food, two people in the last week said they will only shop at one store, that is the closest. That;s all fine & dandy but don't expect miracles if said store doesn't carry a good selection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts