Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Choosing a breed... ideas?

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Paviche 
#1 ·
I've asked on other forums but I'm always looking for more opinions :)

I'm a couple years out from another dog and in the mean time, I waffle SO much on breed. I was pretty settled on at least a type, but my boyfriend really doesn't like them and we're getting more serious, so I need a dog we'll both enjoy.

My requirements:

- Handler oriented and biddable. I want a dog that wants to work and wants to work with me. Very independent, stubborn or aloof dogs just aren't my thing.

- Good candidate for agility and maybe some other sports. I'm a newbie to sports so I definitely don't need a potential top-tier competitor, but I want do want a versatile dog. I guess this ties in with the first one.

- Relatively healthy breed. I adore a couple of heartbreak breeds, and will probably own one of each some time in the future, but I'm looking for a breed I can become active in. Showing, competing, maybe someday breeding. I just can't invest myself so deeply in a breed with rampant health problems.

- I like both silly and serious dogs. My favorite dogs have a little bit of both! Riff is a huge goofball with his family 24/7, which is fun but not something I really want in a breed. Rowan tends to be more serious and focused with a silly side when he gets really excited and playful. I like his balance a lot more.

- Medium to medium-high energy. I could even do high energy with a decent off switch. Riff is definitely high energy and it's not my ideal exactly, but it's not a deal breaker either. I LOVE a dog that thrives on mental exercise as well as physical. Rowan is great this way: after a good training session, he's pooped out. Riff can train and train but without good hard physical exercise, he's not satisfied.

- Good off-leash, with the proper training. I might be willing to compromise on this but the breed would have to be pretty perfect otherwise.

- Somewhat reserved/indifferent with strangers would be nice for a change :p Rowan is best friends with everyone and I would enjoy having a dog that wouldn't happily go off with the first stranger that pet them, haha. Friendly with strangers isn't a deal breaker though.

- I would strongly prefer a dog that will be good with other dogs in their own home. Strange dogs, I don't really care, but I plan on always having multiple dogs and really don't want a crate/rotate set up.

- All else equal I'd like minimal grooming, but it honestly doesn't matter. I grew up with poodles and can do high maintenance for the right dog.

Boyfriend's requirements:

- Prefers dogs 20 lbs+ although not a hard and fast rule. There are a couple of little guys he likes so I know he's open to the idea.

- Doesn't like too much fur. Some show Aussies have "too much fur." Same with some of the more fluffy Tervuren/Groenendaels (ones with less to moderate coat are okay.) Pyrs and Newfies have too much. Lhasas, Bearded Collies, all long haired dogs like that are out. Might be willing to compromise but again, it'd have to be an amazing fit otherwise.

- Not prone to separation anxiety.

- No spaniels or setters! Not big on the sporting group in general, but he might be willing to consider others. Just not spaniels or setters.

Mutual wants:

- No super barky dogs. Riff is all BARK BARK BARK all the time, every time he gets excited/is playing/is in the mood to bark/whatever and it drives me crazy, especially because he has a really shrill piercing bark. BF is not a fan either. Alert barking is fine! Barking just for the sake of hearing their own voice, not so much, lol.

- A dog with some protective instinct would be nice. Not necessarily a requirement, but we'd both like it. I'm not looking for a PPD or anything that serious, though.

- Medium to hard temperament. Super soft dogs don't work well with either of us. We're not overbearing or rough, but I get frustrated training very soft tempered dogs, and I know my BF would as well, even if I'm doing most of the training. Better for everyone for the dog to be more resilient :)

Oh my gosh, this turned into a novel. At least I have a good idea of what we want, I guess? lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Standard schnauzer! or a boxer (mine were good agility candidates, we didnt go far enough, my fault - new baby and all-- great with kids too-- the BYB dog had knee issues, the breeder dog almost none lived til we put her down 1 month shy of her 14th bday)...
the schnauzers LOVE to work and have a fine sense of mischief as well... our giant is up for anything, she is a but of a handful though, that is why i suggested a standard... alittle easier to manage package...

#3 ·
I think a beauceron could fit most of your requirements. They are active, intelligent dogs who like learning and are biddable, and they generally do well in dog sports. They do tend to be reserved with strangers and to have some guarding instinct; if you are willing to give the dog a job, I think one could be a good choice!

#4 ·
Have you thought about a shelter!? You could easily find something that fits your criteria? I THINK I read all of your novel but could have missed a chapter. If you want to go pure bred by all means narrow it down by breeds but of not I would spend a weekend starting to look around!

Although you may find the "perfect breed" on paper at least you may not get the perfect dog! Although don't get me wrong it's a great place to start if you are looking for certain qualities and temperaments!

BUT if you don't have a preference on that I would look into some shelters at least to get an idea of what other options you have! Keep us updated on the hunt!

Holt votes shelter too!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
No offence but she didn't ask where she should get her future dog, she asked what kind of dog she should get, now once she decides on the breed she wants maybe then suggesting she get it from a shelter would be appropriate, but a "Shelter" is not a type of dog.

#5 ·
I would recommend the standard schnauzer as well. They are fantastic medium sized dogs. Epagnuel Brenton though I see you already have a Brit. A Blue Heeler would cover just about all of your needs as well, but can be pretty independent.

SOmething that may be a little different could be a medium sized Doberman. They are very fast and agile dogs, and I think would be great in agility.

#7 ·
I was totally going to suggest spaniels (and maybe setters). But now that's right out! Haha

Your list screams herding and sporting breeds to me, but you said no sporting. The barking also cuts out a lot of the herding dogs. How important is the showing part? All of the herding breeds I'm thinking of do tend to have a lot of coat (Aussie, sheltie) in their show version. Tervs might fit, but the ones I know are quiet soft. Goldens fit, but again fur, and health concerns.

What about a Chessie? I know you said no sporting, but I'm having a hard time thinking of breeds. I agree that standard schnauzer could be a really good fit, though the coat is super high maintenance (more than a poodle, because you need to work on it for an hour every week).

#9 ·
I hate to say it, but...have you thought about a GSD?

#10 · (Edited)
Standard Schnauzer is an interesting idea... I've never given them much thought! I always had the impression that they were pretty stubborn and maybe not very easy to work with. I'll have to look more into them :)

Boxers aren't really my cup of tea. I've met some that I really liked, but we just don't seem to mesh well over all. Plus Rowan would hate me forever if I brought one home. lol He hates their style of playing.

Beaucerons are on my list... I'm very interested in them but I've also found conflicting information on how intense/high maintenance they are. I guess a lot of that depends on lines though. I've seen people compare their Beaucerons to border collies in terms of energy and exercise requirements, which might be more than I'm looking for, BUT to be fair most of my hands on experience with BCs have been horribly under stimulated dogs owned by people who should NOT have a BC. There's a huge local show next week that I'm hoping to meet some at to get a better feel!

I LOVE my Brittany. Love love love. If I could just have Rowan forever, I'd be happy. Unfortunately my boyfriend does not feel the same way! His loss :p

ACDs are on my list too. They're one I really need to meet more of to see if they'd be a good fit. I know that they can have DR/DA tendencies which is my biggest hesitation with them.

I love Dobes and so does my boyfriend, but they tend toward such serious health problems that I don't think I could really invest myself in the breed. :( I'm almost positive we'll have at least one in the future, but that's probably it.

Elrohwen, that's part of my problem, lol! Other than protective and reserved with strangers, I think that most spaniels are a great fit. He just flat out doesn't like them. It's frustrating! He doesn't like the soft floppy look, and doesn't like the temperament either, although some of that is just previous bad experiences than what they're really like. He's adamant about no spaniels though, so sadly I've ruled them out. He has a breed or two that he wants that I don't care for, so someday I'll get my spaniel. ;) It just won't be "my breed."

Honestly, we both gravitate toward a lot of the herders so I think the barking might just be something we have to compromise on. If we're on top of it from the start hopefully that will curb it at least a little bit.

Showing isn't 100% necessary. It's something that I'd like to do, but there are a couple of breeds that I'm interested in that aren't recognized. I'm very interested in English Shepherds, for example.

Chessies have come onto my radar lately. I don't know a lot about them, but what I've read so far sounds pretty good! BF is not terribly interested, but also hasn't said no and when it comes down to it, I don't need him to love the breed, just be able to live with it happily enough :p

As far as shelter dogs... I love rescues. Both of my boys are adopted (one from a breed specific rescue, the other from Craigslist.) I'm all for people adopting dogs. I want to find a breed that fits me, though, and get more involved in the dog fancy, including - if the stars aligned and everything was right - breeding more healthy, tested (health & ability) dogs. I'm sure there are more rescue dogs in my future, but that's not what I'm looking for overall. :)

Xeph, GSDs are actually way up on my list too. They're one I've actually been reading about for years, and I have absolutely adored the well bred dogs I've met (seems that dogs from questionable sources can be a crapshoot it seems like - nervy, anxious, unstable. Not all but some.) My boyfriend is a big fan, too. I've actually thought about messaging you about them because if we went the GSD route, chances are good we'd be seeking out Amlines. I want to meet more (guess that goes for all the breeds!) but they're one I'm very keen on.

#11 ·
Standard Schnauzer is an interesting idea... I've never given them much thought! I always had the impression that they were pretty stubborn and maybe not very easy to work with. I'll have to look more into them :)
I've done obedience classes with a couple and they seem pretty biddable. Not like a BC or anything, but they like to work. The grooming is a nightmare though. The women I know breed and show and said it's about an hour a week per dog to keep them stripped. You can slack, but then it's going to be 5 hours of work every so often. And stripping is so much harder (physically) than clippering.

Elrohwen, that's part of my problem, lol! Other than protective and reserved with strangers, I think that most spaniels are a great fit. He just flat out doesn't like them. It's frustrating! He doesn't like the soft floppy look, and doesn't like the temperament either, although some of that is just previous bad experiences than what they're really like. He's adamant about no spaniels though, so sadly I've ruled them out. He has a breed or two that he wants that I don't care for, so someday I'll get my spaniel. ;) It just won't be "my breed."

Honestly, we both gravitate toward a lot of the herders so I think the barking might just be something we have to compromise on. If we're on top of it from the start hopefully that will curb it at least a little bit.

Showing isn't 100% necessary. It's something that I'd like to do, but there are a couple of breeds that I'm interested in that aren't recognized. I'm very interested in English Shepherds, for example.

Chessies have come onto my radar lately. I don't know a lot about them, but what I've read so far sounds pretty good! BF is not terribly interested, but also hasn't said no and when it comes down to it, I don't need him to love the breed, just be able to live with it happily enough :p
Welshies are typically reserved with strangers, females more than males. My male isn't particularly reserved, but I see some tendencies as he gets older. Most I have met were definitely reserved. They are fairly protective too, in the bark up front wag in the back way. Watson absolutely turns on his big dog bark if he thinks there is someone on our property, but he would be too chicken to every do anything about it. I don't know someone couldn't like cute floppy ears! lol

I love English shepherds! I vote for that! If I ever get a herding breed, I think it might be an ES.

Chessies are cool dogs and I take classes with a woman who breeds them. They are definitely not like a lab or golden in personality. Her dogs are all reserved, though sweet with people they know. Very hard working dogs as well and she has multiple conformation, obedience, agility, and hunting titles on them. They remind me of a working-type breed (like a rottie, or a GSD) crossed with a hunting retriever in personality.

#12 ·
I think a beauceron could fit most of your requirements. They are active, intelligent dogs who like learning and are biddable
ALL of the Beauceron I have met would be a lot of dog for a first time sport owner. I have a friend that owned one, and just standing next to the dog was exhausting. Go go go ALL the time, and "Biddable" was not a term she used for him.

#14 ·
Really? I wonder if it could have something to do with lines... Beauceron are relatively popular where I come from (France) and although they are definitely dogs that need exercise, I've never met one that was hyper. But I'm not an expert in the breed, and I believe you.

#13 ·
Xeph, GSDs are actually way up on my list too. They're one I've actually been reading about for years, and I have absolutely adored the well bred dogs I've met (seems that dogs from questionable sources can be a crapshoot it seems like - nervy, anxious, unstable. Not all but some.) My boyfriend is a big fan, too. I've actually thought about messaging you about them because if we went the GSD route, chances are good we'd be seeking out Amlines. I want to meet more (guess that goes for all the breeds!) but they're one I'm very keen on.
Drop me a line any time :) Many people here could tell you I love talking about Shepherds ^_^

#19 ·
Thank you, I will definitely take you up on that at some point! One of my favorite dogs EVER was an American show line bitch, bicolor, gorgeous gorgeous dog. She came from what sounded like a show mill (I was told by my bosses at the time, who were told by the dog's owner, so at that point it was just a game of telephone) and had some reactivity problems, especially with other dogs. When she wasn't in a situation that was stressful/triggering for her, though, she was flat out amazing. Very in tune with people, good with other dogs she knew/had spent time around, was wicked smart and definitely had a sense of humor. She could be pretty devious, but in her way it was just hilarious and endearing. It's been 4-5 years since I worked there, and I still miss her!

Have you looked into Airedale Terriers? Some of the working bred dogs would fit your needs. They do pretty well at schutzhund and agility.
Airedales are one of my boyfriend's favorite breeds, but honestly I'm not really a terrier person with like... one exception (border terriers.) If he ever decided to get one I think I could live happily with it, but they're not a breed I want for myself.

Oh hey, have y'all thought about a Cardi Corgi?
Yes! I LOVE Cardis :) They've been on my "want" list for a long time and are another that I've spent a lot of time reading about. There's definitely a certain type I'd rather go for - leggier and leaner (within the standard of course) especially for the sports I'm interested in. Some of the heavy, low slung dogs in the show ring are cute, but don't seem quite as functional to me.

#15 ·
With regards to grooming the standard schnuazer - clipping is the way to go-- much easier than a poodle or Bichon-- we have a giant, and clip once every 3 months and just comb out her feathers and her beard... the drippy beard thing is def something though....(I am sorta used to it, but then again we had Boxers for 14 years and they are pretty sloppy too- although they did Not drool as much as you would think)....

#17 · (Edited)
With regards to grooming the standard schnuazer - clipping is the way to go
S/he said s/he may want to show. You can't clip a Schnauzer's coat if you're going to show.

Really? I wonder if it could have something to do with lines... Beauceron are relatively popular where I come from (France) and although they are definitely dogs that need exercise, I've never met one that was hyper. But I'm not an expert in the breed, and I believe you.
Most of the Beaus here in the states are still high import blood. My experience with the French based working breeds (Briard, Bouvier, Beauc, and the Belgians) are they they are sharper, more reactive, and "higher" energy than the German breeds. They are not unstable, but they can be a whole lot of dog. Lots of drive in the Beaus as well (even being in AKC has not diminished that).

I have met real working Beaus as well as show Beaus....aside from what they participate in, there really isn't any difference. They are WONDERFUL dogs, but you definitely want to hang out with some as much as possible before committing to the breed.

#18 ·
Oh hey, have y'all thought about a Cardi Corgi?

#20 ·
I know *THE* perfect Cardigan breeder for you!!! They have some of the top sport Cardis in the breed. I think they still have the top MACH bitch....she's MACH20+

#22 ·
I PM'd you!! My husband foolishly hates Cardis, but if I ever got one just for sport, the people I PM'd you about is ABSOLUTELY where I'd get a dog from!

#25 ·
I know I want a Blue Corgi (Or a Brindle), but I've wanted one for many many years, and I'd take any color rather than no color overall.

Keechak and I know the Aramora dogs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.