Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marley seems to be choking on his treats! I don't know if it is because he is eating them to fast, they are too dry or too big...They are not really big though. Just little bone shaped treats. They are very dry.

Does anyone have any treats they would recommend that the dogs will not choke on even if they eat them too fast?

And while I am on the subject Coco always chokes when she drinks water..Again I don't know if it is because she drinks to fast or what? Does anyone have dogs that choke when they drink anything?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
A few months back I was raising a rescue pup who constantly choked on everything because he inhaled it! I had to actually grab him up and get the food that was lodged in his throat out! He scared me to death. I thought he was going to choke to death! He still inhales his food and he is going on 7 months old. It is just him I guess.

If your dog is choking on his regular meals and treats and water I would almost be concerned that something might already be stuck in his throat? I am no expert. But I told my vet about Benny when we went for vaccines and we ruled out any obstructions. He is just a gulper and does not chew. This is all I can tell you. It is just my experience with one dog. I am not a vet so I cannot say why it happens. If you feel it is something bad,....please call your vet and explain the problem to them. :)

Hope this was helpful. :)

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither of them ever choke on regular meals. It is just Marley with the treats and Coco with the water. I would imagine anything stuck in there would have come out when they both had kennel cough. They were certainly getting enough phlegm up! Coco has been doing this for a while now so I will talk to the vet the next time he comes.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Neither of them ever choke on regular meals. It is just Marley with the treats and Coco with the water. I would imagine anything stuck in there would have come out when they both had kennel cough. They were certainly getting enough phlegm up! Coco has been doing this for a while now so I will talk to the vet the next time he comes.
Kennel cough just sounds the worst doesn't it? I have only ever had two dogs who caught it because their breeder left them out in the rain while she was at work.....poor babies! :(

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is really horrible! Wow it sounded so bad and very sore! poor Marley got it worse. But it was gone within a week with antibiotics. At least it stopped Marley from barking 24/7 XD They got it from staying at a kennel...The name fits yes! We were away for a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts