Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still attempting to train my doggy to come when she's called. She will come when she's called in the house, but only comes when she feels like it at the fenced in park where I take her to run. So I have decided to try the long leash thing.

Because I live in Costa Rica, we don't have specialty pet stores. Most dogs just live on the streets and go "home" to eat. So I made my own long leash (maybe about 20 feet) with cloths line and old parts from another leash (clip and handle). The problem is, when I take Perlita into the non-fenced in park and put on this long leash, she feels freedom. Which means she'll run full speed (she's fast!) away from me and then come to a frightening jerk halt when she hits the end of the leash. I'm really worried she's going to break her neck! I have rope burns all over my hands from attempting to slow her down before she hits the end of the leash. I thought if she did it one or two times she would learn, but she kept doing it.

I can't use a harness because she can wiggle out of it (has done it before). And any sort of special harnesses are not available here.

I've thought about taking her to the fenced in park and letting her run to get energy out first. But I think it would send mixed messages, like she only has to come when called when we're not in the park. Or I don't know. I'm trying hard to not let her off her leash until she learns to come when called.

What I'm doing is taking her to the big park and walking around it once, then doing a little long-leash training, then going on another lap, then doing another training... etc. The first time we stopped, she was okay it actually seemed like she was learning! But the second time we stopped she was running full sprint.

What can I do? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Can you order off the Internet? Choke collars are really dangerous. Properly fitted, an H harness should be impossible to wiggle out of, but even a standard flat buckle collar would be better than a choke collar. Don't do this training until you have better supplies

Actually, couldnt you turn a belt into a flat buckle collar, just cut off the excess and punch a new hole.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
What about going to a sewing shop or leather worker and having a harness made? Someone used to making saddlery (horse halters, saddles, and such) should be able to make a leather harness easily and at a comparatively reasonable price.

At the least, try to get or make a WIDE (2 inches or so) collar to the force is distributed a little better. If you are worried about a flat collar slipping off, then clip both it and a choke chain to the leash so that the choke chain never comes into play unless the main collar fails.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
The first thing I would recommend is to work on recall on a shorter leash and work your way up to the 20' leash. It is easier to get your dog's attention from 6' away, anyway. Your dog doesn't have to be far away from you to practice coming when called, especially when starting. You can always jog backwards to give yourself more space to reinforce, if you like.

If you have bungee cords available where you are, you could try making something like a shockline. It would take a bit of sewing but here is an example of what I mean: http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=64

It will not full absorb the shock of a dog running full speed to the end of a 20' leash, but you could start with a shorter leash and it will help absorb some of the shock while she is learning. And if a harness won't work, at least get a wider flat collar instead of a choke.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could probably get someone to make a harness- that's a good idea.

She has a regular "flat" collar I guess. But she can pull out of it really easily. She sometimes gets scared when we walk by loud noises and jerks backwards. If she's in just a regular collar or a harness she yanks out of it really easily. Even when I attach them really tight. I don't want to attach the leash to both because the choke collar won't choke if it's attached to her regular collar. Then she can very easily pull out of both. And since she doesn't come when she's called, she'll run off and it'll be quite an event to get her back.

Thanks for the responses, I'll look into getting a harness made and start on a shorter leash.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Attaching to both the choke and the regular collar will prevent her from getting away. If the flat collar comes off, the choke collar wont (as long as it's on the lower part of the neck) and will tighten then, to prevent her getting away from you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is the choke collar used for safety measure for when your dog breaks away from the flat collar? The choke collar, despite its name, it's not really supposed to choke, but used to deliver a fast jerk release correction. If it chokes it can be dangerous. Even so, a pinch collar can be much safer as it doesn't choke nor it hurts the dog if properly used. Although IMO, I wouldn't use pinch to train recall and focus and mostly not to allow a dog run full speed and corrects herself harshly with correction collars.

Just as other members suggested, it's better to work with lower expectations at the beginning. You can do the following:
- work with reward based obedience training a few short times per day - it improves focus gradually;
- work with lowest distraction level first (inside home) and then gradually add more distractions (outside);
- use shorter leash first and gradually longer;
- at home, if your dog doesn't come when called, simply walk away and disappear for some minutes. This is to show that if she doesn't answer she might lose sight of you. You can do this outside home too (like hiding behind the corner but don't drop the leash);
- always praise and reward when coming, and never punish when coming late or not coming. Also, never chase her to get her back or it will become a game.

Lastly, make sure she has plenty walks and can experience different environments too. A dog that is well socialized is much less reactive or curious. A dog that doesn't go out much will often behave like a town guy arrived in a big city. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tried clicker training? You don't need a clicker its just a sound that indicate the dog has done something right and is getting a treat. You should be able to fit two fingers under the collar only anymore and its too loose.

Look up clicker training on you tube lots can be achieved with this method of training.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I did not see it mentioned but (might have missed it) a pair of gloves stops rope burn.

·
Registered
161 Posts
By the way, just about the choke collar being used as a safety measure in case the flat collar breaks - a martingale can be used as alternative, since it doesn't tightens all the way, while it can make the slipping off harder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies!

I use the choke collar so she doesn't pull out of her normal collar. When she spooks she yanks backwards and tries to pull away. Otherwise she's very good on a leash and I usually never even have to give her corrections. It's really only because she gets scared and pulls backwards. Like I said, she's pulled out of regular collars and harnesses. I'm not sure if I'm reading your responses correctly, but her normal flat collar doesn't actually break off. She pulls her head out of it. She does the same with harness. She pulls backwards until she gets her whole body out of it. I use the choke collar so she can't pull out. It's a safety concern.

I'll try a shorter leash. I do take her on frequent walks and the places where I'm training her are the places where we always go to walk. So it shouldn't be too much of a new area.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dog also pulled out from his flat collar once or twice, and once, he was very scared by some loud noises from fireworks that he was pulling away and it really scared us a lot as he was really in panic and we thought we might lose him! But well, for safety, it might be better to use martingale, I've read that some people who has this kind of problem used this, it might be safer than a choke, specially during fear or even panic moments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts