Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my dog a choke collar since I was told that is was a good tool to use when it came to train the dog to walk on a leash. I used the choke collar a couple of times but I don’t seem to be satisfied with the way that it is use. I feel as if this is uncomfortable for the dog and kind of mean too. I just need to see what you guy’s opinions and views are about a choke collar? Are there other methods besides the choke collar to train the dog to walk on a leash? Feel free to reply with your opinion and any suggestions that you might have, thank you.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
What type of dog? Have you done any formal obedience lessons? Has anyone shown you how to teach loose leash walking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 3 month old female rottie. I have done some research and I have started to do some obedience training. I tried to teach her the basics such as "sit" and "come" but walking her on a leash is becoming very challenging. I just want to fins the best method with out having to use the choke collar, but if there is no other way then I would stay with that until she learns.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You don't HAVE to use the choke collar in order to teach loose leash walking. It actually can be more detrimental to the dog, especially if you haven't been properly trained (yourself) in how to use the tool. The tool can be used safely, humanely and effectively if done RIGHT, but it can also be misused and abused.

If you are uncomfortable with the tool, then I would suggest something which utilizes positive reinforcement. Have you seen the 'stickies' in the training section? There's one specifically dedicated to this topic?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Three months seems a bit young for any sort of training collar.
I agree with Mac'n'Roe; if you're not comfortable, don't use it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In addition to the feedback you have already received, there is also a right way and a wrong way to use the choke collar. It should sit high on the neck right behind the ears to be effective, not sitting lower on the neck. I can't tell you how many people I see walking with aggressive pullers wearing a choke chain or prong collar sitting in the wrong position (at the base of the neck). I'd say 1 out of 30 people I see using these training collars has them on correctly. And then the rest with it sitting incorrectly wonder why it doesn't work for them.

And just to reiterate what Zr said, definitely only use the tools and methods you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Are you working with a trainer who is familiar with the proper use of a choke chain? If not then I would sugest you stop using it. A choke chain can be a very effective training tool if used properly, but it can very useless and abusive if not used correctly. There's hundreds of different ways to train dogs to do varrious things, including walking on a leash. If you're not experienced training dogs I would recomend you join a training class or club near you that uses a method you're comfortable with. Most vets know of trainers in thier area, or you can just google it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've used a trainer for several of my dogs, and he uses a pinch collar. Many of my dogs have gotten a lot of their training while using a pinch collar.

However, I also use a choke collar, mostly when teaching heel and loose-leash walking. Almost all of Sam's training was done with a choke chain. In my opinion, I think both are good training devices, if used properly. I had my trainer show me the proper techniques for the pinch collar, as I have used it widely with a lot of my guys.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would say no choke-chains in any circumstances, no matter how bad the problem is, for a dog this age. Who set the 16 week minimum? Right now you want your dog's life to be as positive as possible. If you want to use aversive tools or training methods, then go ahead and do the research first, then use them... but not on a pup.

There are many other less aversive ways to teach your pup to walk on a loose leash. Have you read this stickie?

http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/4547-loose-leash-walking-using.html

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another method to teach to walk on a loose leash is the tree method (technical term!). Use a buckle collar and when your dog starts to pull, stop and just stand there like a tree until your dog gives you slack. Then and only then, do you start walking again. This teaches the dog that only a loose leash allows him to move forward; pulling has the opposite affect. Give this a try and ditch the choker.

·
Registered
435 Posts
At three months old,I'd get a harness. I don't like to use choke collars and never will.My Great Pyreness mix works good with a regular collar.I didn't have to train her to walk or stop or anything of that nature.If you take your time with your pup,everything should come out all right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No I have not tried a head halter, not even sure what that is

I want to thank all of you guys for all of the great advice. I am not using the choke collar no more I did not feel confortable to begin with. I'm going to try other methods and if all else fails I will wait untill she is 16 weeks before I give the choke collar another try.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
No I have not tried a head halter, not even sure what that is

I want to thank all of you guys for all of the great advice. I am not using the choke collar no more I did not feel confortable to begin with. I'm going to try other methods and if all else fails I will wait untill she is 16 weeks before I give the choke collar another try.

If you decide to use the slip collar, you need to wait until the pup is ATLEAST 6 months old...according to the link provided by Corteo :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts