• I Know A Dog Who Was Hurt By A Choke Chain

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I Dont Beleive In Them

Votes: 10 38.5%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
If I show my dog the choke chain he goes crazy with excitement practically forcing me to put it on him. Walk time !

Having said that I rarely use it anymore as he heels OK.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
If I show my dog the choke chain he goes crazy with excitement practically forcing me to put it on him. Walk time !
What you've witnessed is the power of classical conditioning. Your dog is excited by the consequence that follows you presenting the collar...a walk.

Your dog is not excited by what the collar does when in use...cause pain.

·
Banned
363 Posts
What you've witnessed is the power of classical conditioning. Your dog is excited by the consequence that follows you presenting the collar...a walk.

Your dog is not excited by what the collar does when in use...cause pain.
Of course he's excited about the walk not the collar. But it is also clear that he does not consider the collar to be the instrument of torture that the posts just above mine would indicate. The collar in his mind is no big deal. Lets Walk!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Of course he's excited about the walk not the collar. But it is also clear that he does not consider the collar to be the instrument of torture that the posts just above mine would indicate. The collar in his mind is no big deal. Lets Walk!
Or likely your valuation of walking is not on par with that of your dog's.

Nevertheless, being anthropomorphic is NOT a very good way to justify the use of a choke collar. For the very reason that you don't need a dog in fear of a choke collar to reason its use or necessity.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't use them because they're unnecessary, and I really can't see the point. I walk 4 dogs at the same time (three Standard Poodles, one Shih Tzu), and I'm a small framed woman. They understand what is required because of training. That training didn't require hurting them.

Choke chains: simple, safe and effective. But don't choke the dog just a quick jerk and release. Do not maintain tension. Dog will understand pronto. The best of all training devices, used for decades. Good luck.
In YOUR Opinion.

There are more intelligent, not to mention humane, ways to train a dog than resorting to pops and jerks on the neck!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I've no problem with that but for most people, who just want their dog to walk with them without pulling, its best to train them to walk on one side consistently. Easier for trainer and dog. Can always train to other positions later with different cues, etc, but this is unnecessary for most people..
Actually, if you ONLY train on ONE side you will create "sidedness" in your dog and it is much more difficult to train a new position such as right side heel.

It is very similar to leading horses.. if you ALWAYS handle the horse on the horse's left side when you initiate halter training, you may create a horse that never handles well from its right side.

Agreed, can train in other ways but for many people and many dogs the choke chain is a great training device, especially when used in combination with other more positive methods.
If you use positive methods correctly, you will never need a choke chain. There are Martingale collars. They are not one sided, only choke far enough so the dog cannot slip them, they do not damage the dog's trachea because thye are limited slip and are a far better tool than any choke chain ever was.

IOW's they are a better modern tool. Why use the choke chain at all?

Of course, there may still be people out there who prefer eating their food raw because they don't like this new fangled stuff called Fire...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Leave it to elana to bring common sense into the choke collar world, I always thought it was better to Tri-collar your dog. Choke/Prong/E-collar as then you are ready for anything the dog throws at you.:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK, so ive made my decision after being shown many many collars, I choose . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .

The Gentle Leader :cool: ;) :D

I was wondering what they were untill I looked at a pic ! In Ireland they are called halti collars so I was a bit confused. I saw one for €15. I'll buythat maybe within the week, start training and see how things go ! I'll let you know how I ( and Roxy ) are getting on.

Thanks for all the help :p

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Leave it to wvasko to bring the funnay.

·
Registered
257 Posts
OK, so ive made my decision after being shown many many collars, I choose . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .

The Gentle Leader :cool: ;) :D

I was wondering what they were untill I looked at a pic ! In Ireland they are called halti collars so I was a bit confused. I saw one for €15. I'll buythat maybe within the week, start training and see how things go ! I'll let you know how I ( and Roxy ) are getting on.

Thanks for all the help :p
Halti and gentle leader are two different brands.
Be careful if your dog lunges at things or people. The dog can
hurt its neck. Please do some research on how to use it properly.
I hope it works out, good luck.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Box
You know when people start the preaching/cajoling/threatening stuff about collars etc you got to add some humor to the conversation.
Indeed. I think I might try that triple threat collar action you're talking about.

/for the boyfriend.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Indeed. I think I might try that triple threat collar action you're talking about.
/for the boyfriend.
A statement that women all over the world agree with. Woe are the poor misguided fools known as men.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts