Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long would it take before seeing any improvement after using a choke chain to stop my dog from pulling on the leash?
Are we talking weeks or months or longer?

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
all depends how often you ar doing it! If you are walking daily then it should only take a few days at the most!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am going to do it daily from yesterday on so hopefully it shudnt take long. when he is on the choke chain he pants and chokes. I know thats the purpose but this will stop the more i use it isnt that correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is 9 months. he is a red terrier who is a bit hyper to say the least but he is great also. do u think it will take long then?

·
Registered
301 Posts
pinch collars work really well also. When I trained mine on a choke collar, when they would pull too much and make them choke/gagg I would also tug on the choker while saying no. My dog learned quickly that he didn't like that and started to stop pulling me! Now he walks right by my side!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i walk him currently i tug the choke chain and say no. he then pulls again but i think he could be learning. hopefully he will get better at it soon and stop killing himself by choking and panting. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
when i walk him currently i tug the choke chain and say no. he then pulls again but i think he could be learning. hopefully he will get better at it soon and stop killing himself by choking and panting. Thanks for the advice.
When you do tug and say no does he ease up a little? If yes then he is getting it, and will just need to be reminded occationally with the tugs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't know if I would have gone with the choke. he is pretty young (just MO). a choke chain is hard to use right. if used right, then yes, it should work pretty fast. the way you are describing what you are doing sounds like it isnt the right way. the choke is for a quick snap and release to get his attention on you.
just research it, and you will get some good tips.
http://www.dog-training-academy.com/news/choker-chain.htm
How to use a choke chain

A choke chain must be jerked quickly and released immediately. It is meant to grab the dog’s attention and surprise it too. It must not be held too tightly. It could cause slow strangulation if the dog is held for too long and dragged around by it. This is really cruel!

Just watch a misinformed person walking down a street dragging a wayward dog behind him on a choke chain. Every muscle of the dog’s body will be tense. Its eyes will be bulging from the pressure on its neck. This rather awful scene is typical of causing unnecessary physical and emotional pain. It also causes harmful dents an otherwise pristine canine-human relationship.

When you use a choke chain correctly, it feels like someone pulling you up short by your suspenders and then letting go. The choke chain gives the owner a high degree of control. It allows you to communicate quickly and clearly with your dog. He will know what is correct and what is not.

A choke chain must be used to only correct your dog. It is not a method of punishment or an instrument of torture. It should not be used as a method of retraining your dog either. It must be removed after a training session is over. Never allow your dog to rum around unsupervised wearing a choke chain either.
good luck training! (I would bring treats along on the walk and treat him when he is walking right!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is the type of dog that once you pull the choke chain he is pulling back again straight away. what am i doing wrong? How long should my leash be on the end of the choke chain?

·
Registered
301 Posts
you want the choker to be like a slip knot. The leash shold be on the end that allows it to tighten and loosen.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I would use a pinch collar, as well. Despite appearances, it is easier on the dog. That's because it generally works quicker, ergo, fewer overall corrections. Used properly, a pinch collar should produce almost immediate improvement. Improvement is not the same as a cure, however. That takes consistency and repetition. With regular, appropriate application, you should be seeing a reasonable facsimile of heeling within the week.

·
Registered
428 Posts
He is the type of dog that once you pull the choke chain he is pulling back again straight away. what am i doing wrong? How long should my leash be on the end of the choke chain?
maybe you should have him sit, treat, tell him to heel, and when he pulls, yank and release, then if it continues, have him sit again. it might work for your dog. every dog is different. my previous dog wouldn't stop until we put a gentle leader (head harness) on him.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would use a pinch collar. When using the choke, the point is not a constrict the collar. I would use a pinch, because, when the dog stops pulling, the collar will loosen. Plus, it won't choke the dog.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Try to think of it from a different perspective.....if your dog had no collar and no leash at all how would you teach him where to walk with you?

That's the important part....actually showing the dog precisely where to walk....at your side, behind you, slightly ahead? You'd do that by heavily rewarding the dog every time they came into the position you wanted.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This page has a picture of how it's supposed to be used. In the picture, the section moving through the loop should lay across the top of the dog's neck.

Have you tried a no-pull harness? I worked with a choke collar, prong collar and regular collar and finally the no-pull harness is what worked for my puller. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
that no pull harness is excellent. it turned my friend's 75# puller into an expert heeler (is that a word?). of course, you would still need to train your dog. none of these corrective collars/harnesses will work without some positive training with it like TooneyDogs said.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts