Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, time and time again im sure this question gets asked. long story short, my dog was out unsupervised this morning (irresponsible, i know) and he got hold of a box of little debbie's brownies. There were maybe four or five left in the box? He is a beagle, weighs about 25-30 lbs now I think. Who here thinks that this is going to turn out badly for me? I'm just worried about him. My parents had a dog eat a whole bag of hershey kisses once and he was fine. Should I be really worried, thinking about rushing him to a vet??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
Please ... Call your vet asap. They will direct you ......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Chances are that he will be fine, except for some diarrhea. Brownies (especially Little debbie) have very little real cocoa in them. Milk chocolate candy bars even, won't usually kill a dog. Unsweetened baking chocolate, and dark chocolate are what is really toxic.
To be safe you should go see a vet. But on the scale of chocolate toxicity, it was one of the better chocolate things for him to have gotten into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
My dog got a very rich brownie from a fancy restaurant...I called the place immediately to find out what the ingredients were--it had cocoa and dark chocolate:( There is a small window between the time its eaten and digested to get it out of the dogs system. I was right in the window, so I blocked off the kitchen and induced vomiting. I couldn't believe how much chocolate came out, but she did vomit all of it and she had no side effects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,437 Posts
I agree with spotted, those brownies barely have any real cocoa in them. I'd worry more about the sugar content than anything.

The severity of chocolate toxicity depends on three factors

1) Size of the dog (in your case 20-30 pounds)
2) Type of chocolate (white being least, and bakers being worst) although pure cocoa is really the worst but how many people have pure cocoa in their pantry.
3) And the amount eaten

There are plenty of great calculators on the internet for this, simple google search should lead you to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
How is your dog today? Hope to find him well. I know someone once gave my little dogs some m&m's ... they had a sugar rush for a bit! ...... they lived though. :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top