Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering about my pup, an ACD mix. She was 2 in March and has lost about 6 lbs since moving to Florida with my SO, so she now weighs in at 39lbs. I have never seen a heeler with such a tucked up waist and I've just been wondering if I need to be feeding her a bit more. But I also don't know what else she has in her, its mostly the heeler that shows. My other dog is skinny as well, but she's a catahoula mix and should have the tucked up belly. I tried to get photos of all angles as well as next to my other dog, but master photographer I am not.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Amos

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Both of your dogs look like they're at a nice, healthy weight. My catahoula mix has a deep chest with a serious tucked up belly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looks good to me! Most dogs are overweight nowadays. It's nice to see a couple who aren't!! You should be able to feel their ribs easily without seeing them, and that's what your dogs appear to look like to me. I don't see backbone or hipbones either, which is good.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You can always ask your vet if you're really concerned, but kabota looks just like that, really deep chest, high tuck and a definite waist. My vet says he's the only beagle or beagle mix in his practice at a good weight.

People are used to seeing fat/furry dogs, so they don't know what a dog at a good weight looks like.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! I guess she was just a little chunky when she was living with my bf for a while lol.
And people keep telling me she's too skinny. My mother is always trying to fatten her up when we visit.
As I put pictures up already do you see any other mix in her? All I ever see is ACD!!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
People tell me my dog is too thin, too... They're used to seeing fat chihuahuas. She looks like yours in terms of condition. Actually I thought she needed to drop a little weight because she had some chest and belly flab going on, which is mostly gone now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
At the risk of alienating any vets who frequent this forum, do not ask a vet if your dog is overweight. The number of times I have heard "But the vet says she is not fat".

Find the last rib on either of her flanks and take a big pinch of skin between thumb and index finger. Now slowly pull away from the dog. If you feel 2 layers sliding through your fingers she needs to lose weight. It will be easy to feel if she is overweight - like if you take 10 pages of paper and place 5 of them half an inch overlapping. Now slide all sheets through your fingers - you will feel the first 5 as you bump onto the bottom five sheets.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think both look great! People are so used to seeing overweight dogs, nice to see a leaner one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts