Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appologies is this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure if it went in health or grooming.

I am getting my very first Chinese Crested in just a few weeks.
He will be around 4 months old when he arrives.

I asked this question on YahooAnswers yesterday (before I joined this site) and all I got what ranting and raving about cropping ears... no answers on taping :rolleyes:
I noticed at least one member on here with Cresteds so I thought I would give it a shot.

I have found a few good web sites on ear taping but none of them tell you any specifics.
I have found ones with pictures and instructions, so I know what products to use and basically how it is done but I wanted to know if there is any specific way the ears should be set.
Is there a certain length the center brace should be?
How far into the the ear should the padding go and how tall should it be?

I know I should ask the breeder but I have bombarded her with a million and one questions already and I want to go into this is prepared as possible so she doesn't think I am completely useless :)

Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I knew a lady with mini shelties and she always just brought the puppies back to the breeder once every other week or so to get the ears retapped. I would talk to the breeder, if you are close, she might do it for you, or at least show you how to do it. No (good) breeder will feel bombarded with questions....they would rather you ask them then get wrong information from people on the internet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Northern Inuit, I know it's always best to ask the breeder, unfortunataly there is a big body of water separating us so I can only contact her by phone or spend an hour on a plane, then 2 hours in a car ;)

You are right though... I'm calling her again on the 1st of Feb (the pup is being shown a few times before being given to me and he has shows on the 30/31st Jan) so yes, I will ask her about it then.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Trust me, I understand about the big body of water!! My Lupa's from London :) me and my breeder talked on MSN or on Skype alot...we are also facebook friends so we can stay connected.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's such a pain living here, I'm in Tasmania, which is the little triangle shaped island down the bottom of Australia.
If you want a new dog you pretty much have to buy it from the mainland as there are only 2-3 other people in my breed/s here and we are pretty competitive ;)

I have never seen a Northern Inuit in the flesh, they look like beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I taught a unit plan on Australia (Tasmania included :) ) during student teaching...one of my students was IN LOVE with Steve Irwin, lol, so we had a lot of fun with it. Sydney is one of the places I hope to visit before having children...I don't know if that will happen, though...but its fun to dream :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh wow! Haha yes Steve Irwin is/was a national icon, one of those guys that everyone loved.
I have never been to Sydney but apparently it's a very nice place to visit... definitely on my 'to go' list as well.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes Sydney is certainly a beautiful city, especially the harbour. Nothing better than a trip to Manly on the ferry & according to oh a walk on top of the bridge.

A quick ps why do you need to tape his ears? I know it's done to the border collies with very low ears. Do cresteds have the same problem?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been scanning through the breeders site as well as her dogs on dogzonline and most of her puppies have taped ears.
Odds are mine will come already taped so I can just see what she has done but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

With Cresteds the top of the ear can fold like it does with a breed like the whippet, they should be standing upright (on the hairless variety) so taping just helps the ear strengthen while the cartilage hardens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts