Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what to do...my 9 month old pup is an endless ball of energy, except for when my husband isn't home. She is a lab/collie mix, so I know she requires a lot of exercise....
She goes on 2-3 walks around the entire apartment complex a day. If its not raining and there is no one on the Tennis Courts, we take her there and throw the ball until she loses interest and lays down. She has plenty of brain stimulating toys, including a stuffed Kong she only gets at bed time. Yet her favorite thing to do is jumps and nip at us constantly. Now the strange thing is, if just one of us is home, she is fine. She lays and sleeps, might play a little bit, but is all around a good dog. If both of us are home, all bets are off...she runs around like a maniac (laps around the apartment at FULL SPEED). No amount of redirection helps, as she just drops it and goes back to jumping/nipping/acting crazy.
Same issue at bed time, when I take her to bed at 10:30-11 she settles in with her Kong and is fine, but as soon as my husband comes to bed 2-3AM, she wont settle down again for an hour or so..
She's driving me nuts. Is this just a "puppy" thing or is there a way to chill her out?

Also, side question...she will get up from a dead sleep to follow me around...what's that all about?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
This is just how adolescent dogs are!

If she is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation, sounds like you need to teach her to settle in the house. I used "Sit on the Dog" a lot at that age in the evenings. http://sanityshome.blogspot.com/2010/01/sit-on-dog-aka-long-down.html

You can also pop her in her crate with a chew toy for a bit to calm down.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I agree with training settle and using a crate when she's acting like a goof. You may even be able to prevent some of the racing around if you know when it generally starts.

You mentioned that she has brain stimulating toys: what kind of toys specifically? Also, how much training is she getting? Labs and collies want to work with their people, so you might have some success if you have some focused, calm training time so that she is able to interact in a more appropriate way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great advice here already but just wanted to second that it sounds like adolescence. I would definitely evaluate how much exercise and training she gets. How long does a walk around the apartment complex take? Does she get to run on a daily basis or is it more a once in awhile thing? I find that my puppy is way brattier and more hyper when it's just me, and when my husband is home she acts like an angel. She's 11 months now but getting her out to run 2 or 3 times a day has saved my sanity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts