Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

children's probiotic for my dog?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sanne 
#1 ·
For some time now Nugget has a perfect morning poop, but the afternoon one is always soft and never well formed. I have tried cutting down his food as well as adding pumpkin to his meals, but it doesnt really make a difference. I have also rotated through different kibbles with no change either.

So, this morning i went out and bought him some probiotic powder, but seeing as he is only 7.5kg (17lbs) i decided to go for the children's powder, it has no added flavours, colours etc. The one i chose is lifespace probiotic powder with 15 different strains, and is recommended for kids between 3-12 years. https://www.lifespaceprobiotics.com...IhAcJ6VcC_ZjAMA0J4RoC-dsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would a regular probiotic powder for adults be ok, or would it be too much on his system?

#3 ·
Well this probiotic was a major fail! I gave him a tiny amount amount and it turned his soft poops softer and watery. SO i gave it a day with no additions, back to normal. Then i added a tiny pinch to his food and same water poop results!

I might just buy a dog specific probiotic with added digestive enzymes in it. I thought probiotics were supposed to help digestive problems, not make them worse!

#5 ·
I don't give him probiotics, but I do let him lick my greek yogurt bowl. Just like me, if I haven't had it in a while it throws him off. but if we eat it regularly our guts adapt after a week or so. I think if I remember right from reading the probiotic label my wife takes it say's something about disrupting your gut at first. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat some carrots and/or broccoli to go with it (to feed the new microbes) - that's the only two treats I use everyday.

#7 ·
Plain yoghurt always works great for my dogs too. I don't give it on a daily basis but whenever one of my dogs has stomach upset or mushy poo, some yoghurt has never failed to help. Works much faster than pumpkin does for my two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.