Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9lb 10yo Chihuahua with IBD diagnosed by scope 2-3 years ago. He will not tolerate any of the limited ingredient diets so we cook for him. He gets cooked chicken or duck and boiled russet potatoes. In addition he gets a multi vitamin and sea meal as well as flax oil, .2 budesonide and Pepcid. He does fairly well on this with only a few mild flare-ups each year. He has really bad teeth and I hate him going under anesthesia so I'd love if some other diet like raw would help keep his teeth cleaner longer. First of all - does raw keep their teeth cleaner if they are genetically predisposed to building up tartar quickly? Do other people have success feeding raw to dogs with IBD? How do I start raw if that's an option and are there any items I should avoid for a small dog like this? Thanks
Susan

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Not a dog, but someone on my cat forum is feeding raw to her cat who has/had severe IBD and Stomatitis. She doesn't do bones, supplements with eggshell powder and MCHA instead, but he's much improved. No symptoms of IBD at all, and his teeth are way better! So, yes, I think it could help. To start with, you might consider some of the pre-made raw diets, although they may have ingredients that he can't tolerate. Another option is ground whole animals like you can get from www.hare-today.com or www.mypetcarnivore.com. If you want to go full prey model raw, this is a good resource: http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have heard of others having success with feeding raw to dogs with IBD, so I'd say it's worth looking into at least.

I'm also a strong believer in the raw diet for dental health, however that's only achieved by feeding raw bones.

Do lots of research before you jump into raw, but don't be afraid of it. :) I transitioned two Chihuahuas and a Boston Terrier mix onto prey model raw about a year ago and they're all doing very well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard of others having success with feeding raw to dogs with IBD, so I'd say it's worth looking into at least.

I'm also a strong believer in the raw diet for dental health, however that's only achieved by feeding raw bones.

Do lots of research before you jump into raw, but don't be afraid of it. :) I transitioned two Chihuahuas and a Boston Terrier mix onto prey model raw about a year ago and they're all doing very well.
Any hints for me specifically around the Chihuahuas? It makes me nervous to think of them tackling bones. Do you feed them a ground up PREY diet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see the choice of finely ground chicken with bones and organs or coarsely ground. What do I want to try for the chihuahuas?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Not necessarily. The one I'm talking about, with the IBD/Stomatitis cat, her cat's dental health has improved greatly on raw, even without bones (one of her other cats has digestive issues and can't have bones, even ground, so she went with supplementing). Now, he does have Stomatitis, which is an auto-immune disease, so maybe the raw diet is improving his immune system and that's why his dental health has improved. Or maybe it's because of fewer carbs. IDK. But it's working for him, for whatever reason.

I think I would go with fine-ground, because the coarse-ground has fairly large chunks of bone. I'm OK with appropriately-sized whole bones even for small dogs, but if you're going to use ground, the bone chunks should be smaller for smaller dogs, IMO. Chicken necks are a good chewing bone for small dogs, excellent for cleaning teeth.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I don't feed ground at all, they wont get the dental benefits from a ground diet.

My Chihuahuas are only 3.5lbs and they get pieces of chicken neck and back, sections of chicken wings, pork button bones, and small lamb and turkey bones when I can get them. I'll also feed beef ribs on occasion for recreational chewing, they don't eat them. They each get just 0.8oz of food per meal (two meals per day).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I have fed them duck necks before when we were cooking the duck for my guy with IBD. I just cut the raw neck up into three sections and gave a piece to each dog. Seemed to go fine but I bet chicken necks would be even better.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, chickens and ducks are about the same size, so probably not much difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts