Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Chihuahua just got diagnosed with diabetes. This has been a tough diagnosis for me. My Dewey, is only 3 pounds 4oz. Since diagnosis this past Friday, he has become a picky eater? I am struggling on how to get him to eat before insulin. He eats Science diet powdered mixed with water & chicken. He has no teeth. He seems awfully skinny? Tomorrow i will attempt to collect urine to check for ketones. I bet that will be a challenge? I need to figure out a way not to have to go to the veterinarian as often, my finances are bad, I have spent $600.00 since Friday.

Please, If anyone out there can advise me for better tips, and solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a diabetic cat a few years ago and insisted on learning how to check her blood glucose with a monitor at home. I also learned to give her insulin shots based on those results. While the test strips can be pricey, I felt more in control of her care and just did checkups with the vet rather than pay them to run more tests every few weeks/months.
Thank you for your suggestion! I need to try to find a monitor that is affordable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts