Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My Chihuahua just got diagnosed with diabetes. This has been a tough diagnosis for me. My Dewey, is only 3 pounds 4oz. Since diagnosis this past Friday, he has become a picky eater? I am struggling on how to get him to eat before insulin. He eats Science diet powdered mixed with water & chicken. He has no teeth. He seems awfully skinny? Tomorrow i will attempt to collect urine to check for ketones. I bet that will be a challenge? I need to figure out a way not to have to go to the veterinarian as often, my finances are bad, I have spent $600.00 since Friday.

Please, If anyone out there can advise me for better tips, and solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a diabetic cat a few years ago and insisted on learning how to check her blood glucose with a monitor at home. I also learned to give her insulin shots based on those results. While the test strips can be pricey, I felt more in control of her care and just did checkups with the vet rather than pay them to run more tests every few weeks/months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a diabetic cat a few years ago and insisted on learning how to check her blood glucose with a monitor at home. I also learned to give her insulin shots based on those results. While the test strips can be pricey, I felt more in control of her care and just did checkups with the vet rather than pay them to run more tests every few weeks/months.
Thank you for your suggestion! I need to try to find a monitor that is affordable.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
I have merged your two threads on this subject together, and posted your most recent post below. Please know that it is neither necessary nor is it allowed to start a new thread on the same topic every time you have a new question. Just post your new question in your existing thread.

My Chihuahua's name is Dewey, he is 3 pounds, just got diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. I need some help please. When giving him insulin shot, he always jumps, moves, then needle comes out, and I have to pinch him again. This truly terrifies me! I don't know what to do. I try giving him a treat as I give shot, it doesn't work. Why does he always jump, tonight he tried to bite me (he has no teeth), even needle bent! OMG It's just a stressful situation. If you have any tips, please advise me.

Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don’t know where dogs get insulin shots, but I gave my cat hers at the back of her neck. It took me about a week to find the best way for me to do this. I would get on my knees on the floor with my equipment and a treat. I would place her between my knees facing out so I had easy access to the back of her neck and she could not escape from any direction. As soon as her ear prick (for testing) or injection was done, I’d give her the treat. It gets much better as you both find your routine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Smear peanut butter on the fridge. While the dog is busy licking the peanut butter, give him the shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts