Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 6 month old chihuahua and I got him about a month ago. He was not potty trained when he was given to me, so I am trying to potty train him outside. I take him outside every few hours (after he eats, after he takes a nap, after he plays...etc.) and when he goes potty I give him verbal rewards and positive reinforcement. I do not spank him if he goes in the house and I do not yell at him. I don't want him to be scared to potty in front of me and start hiding it. But the problem is he has only gone poop outside 3 or 4 times in the past month. He will pee a few times outside but he refuses to go poop. I have stood outside for an hour multiple times trying to get him to poop and he just stands there until we go inside. Usually about 20 minutes after we go inside he will poop in the house. I have tried to take him outside until he pees and then about 15 minutes later taking him out again to see if he will poop and once again he just stands there and then poops in the house. I really am not sure what to do with this. I have owned a chihuahua before but have never had this happen to me. Some people have suggested crate training or potty pads. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Crate training is a good idea. Also try taking him for a little walk, the physical exercise will help "get things moving", so to speak. I found that my Chihuahuas tend to need to poop within 5-10 minutes after eating.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
When he does poop, put it outside where you want him to go, and leave it there. Often they will want to return to that spot to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts