Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we went and got our 8 week old chihuahua...what a doll! The breeder said it was pad trained.
I'd like to pad train it in a litter box....eventually changing the pad to newspaper. Well....we continually place it in
the pad box but it crawls out and goes on the floor. I also got a spray at the pet shop which entices the pup to go where it's sprayed. Doesn't work. However, when we put it outside in the grass it goes nicely. When you litter box train puppies are they allowed to go both in the box and outside? Just wondering if they can be trained for both locations? It seems silly to me to bring the litter box outside when we go out.
Also....we have been reading about crate training....and how you get it used to the crate slowly..feeding it in it etc. Well, what are you to do with the pup in the meantime? ...example where should the pup stay during the night when its tiny and new to the home...where should we put it???? Thanks so much for your advice in advance.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I can't answer the litter box or pad question. I would just take the dog out to eliminate if that's what the dog prefers.

As for the crate, I may be a little different than most with training. I pick up my dogs from the breeder or shelter in a crate. They ride home in the crate and they sleep in the crate from the first night. I usually start out with the crate next to my bed. But if the dog is a noisy sleeper or carries on endlessly, when I have to sleep so that I can go to work the next day, then the crate gets moved to the far end of the house or the garage (temerpature depending). The dogs all go in their crates if I leave the house for more than an hour or if guest come over, especially those who are not fond f dogs or have small children.

All of our dogs have accepted their crates within a few days. We have one that prefers not to sleep in her crate. But she will do so if the teenager who she sleeps with needs to put the dog in the crate for any reason. Otherwise they eat, sleep, and travel in the crates.

Sometimes it helps to put a towel or t-shirt that has the scent of the owner in the crate. And be sure the crate is sized correctly. Buy a crate for the full grown size of the dog. Then put a box or plastic storage container in the rear of the crate so that the puppy only has room to stand, turn, lay down...adjust as the dog grows.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have my chi trained to go on a pad, and outside, and intend to do the same with my new chi pup. However, I don't use a box, just lay the pad on the floor so they don't have to try and climb in to go to the bathroom.

I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building and there's just no way I could take my pups outside every time they had to go.. I'd spend all day in the elevator! So, the pads are great for me.

Your pup is still VERY young, so just keep placing him or her on the pad and praise like crazy when it goes in the right spot.

My pup is 12 weeks old, and had been started on paper training before I got her at 7 weeks. She is just now learning to seek out the pad when she has to go.. though not consistently yet.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Unless there's a vital reason to have your puppy trained to a pad, I'd recommend keeping the pottying outside. It helps to clarify that there is no pottying inside AT ALL on any surface.

My Chihuahua puppy was fully trained (no accidents) at about 5 months. I got her and immediately started training at 2 months--same place you are. Of course, we moved and had to repotty train.. But it's almost a week with no accidents, so I'm fairly confident the reminder training worked. Just be consistent--catch her in the act or just before when she squats and move her to the place you want her to eliminate. Praise her like crazy, treat her if you want, etc. Let her know that that place is the GOOD place to go. She doesn't have bladder control at this age, so don't expect too much to soon.

The more you correct her the faster the training will go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think I did things the hard way.I brought my chi baby home at 7weeks.She slept with me from the start..I used pads inside a rubber made container.It was too high for her to jump out.I put her in it every hour at least and at night I put the box next to my bed and put her in it if she started wiggling(Im a light sleeper) .I did this for at least a few months along with trips outside.Eventually she got it and I started putting the pads on the floor and taking her on those every hour or so.It worked with our boston terrier too, but he slept in a crate instead of our bed.I used the box with him at night only because it was freakin cold outside.In day I took him out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts