Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foster dog, lupa, a 5lb chihuahua just started to attack my dogs, a maltese and pom, but only if they come near her when she is laying down, when they are all up and running around lupa is fine. she attacked one dog on the couch and I removed her, then she did it on the bed twice, and I removed her imediately, but other than that I dont know what to do, i would like to help make her adoptable. she is extremely submissive to me. and right after I pull her away from my dog she even licks my face. idk, what to do.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
When she is laying down, are there any treats near by, toys, a bed, anything like that?
Does this happen just when she's on the couch?
Are you or someone else she likes near by?

This could be a form of Resource Guarding or it could just be that she doesn't want to be bothered while she's trying to rest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She attacks when she is on her bed, or the couch or our bed, there are no treats, and some of the time I am near by even laying or sitting right next to her.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This happens very often with chichis. The first one I had was 5 year old rescue. She was very submissive to me as well. However no one or no thing could approach me when she was lying by my side or in my arms. She was just wired that way probably from past homes?? not sure. Anywhoo... I could not have this behaviour because I also had 2 other dogs that were very stable in all aspects and were shocked at her retaliations...lol~~

I started with baby steps. I asked my friend to come over while I was sitting on the couch and approach me. Before this, I placed a blanket over her face so that she could not see the approach. My friend sat down, I removed the blanket...no problem..however my friend could not raise her hand or attempt to touch me, but that was ok, at least she was able to sit calmly with no attack. OK, now for the dogs....I absoulutey had to designate a special space for her. After a while, the other two would not interfere in her territory, and they both respected that. She was not in a defensive mode because she knew this too. I can only share my experiences & hope that this will benefit you and your dog somehow..hope it helped-:)

BTW: rescues come with alot of baggage..some things just cannot be fixed and only accepted...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, she does have her own bed in the living room, and they pretty much stay away from her when she is there, I am not going to let her on the couch with me as this is where my boy Einstein and I have sat together for the past 12 years, and he is definitly not used to being attacked, since all the other dogs in my house know he is the king of the house lol.... as for the our bed we have just being keeping an eye on her if our pom jumps up for her nightly snuggles, then she always goes away to sleep on the floor and Einstein stays at the foot of the bed.and lupa has been sleeping by our legs in between us...I want to break her of this habit of getting angry at them for coming near her. as far as people go shes great. and now she started chasing the cats, but she stops when we yell no, so at least thats good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You could try getting her fav treats, have them in you hand, call one of the other dogs and in the moment they approach her, give her a treat. This would have to be an excersice and training time only. It's good that she's ok with people..that's a real plus. I undestand it's very stressing to have to monitor the dynamics ALL the time. However, one day one of your other dogs might turn on her and that's what we want to avoid. You are the pack leader, and as such must keep the piece and put them in there place as would be in the wild..good luck to ya...-:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
So nice of you to take a foster, it's a lot of fun isn't it! One of my fosters just found a great home yesterday, I cried like a baby but was still very happy about it!
If it's not resource guarding (different issue), and they're not drawing blood or seriously fighting, it's probably best to just watch them closely and let them sort it out on their own. They each need to find their own place in the group. You don't mention how long the chi has been with you, but if she's brand new you could keep her separate for a few more days so she can acclimate with less stress. If it's been a week or two they should start learning from each other what their status is in the group - and that can change over time. A crate (open door) for her might be helpful, so she can have her own place she can retreat to. If they snark at each other it's just their way of communicating and will help them learn their place. Have you checked out the website by Turid Rugaas? Great resource!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts